IF signal amplify without delay

himadri117

Joined Nov 11, 2014
I have a RF Frontend that has an 4 IF signal output (2 I channel and 2 Q channel from 2 receiving anettans). Each channel of the IF has a signal rangining from 1.5V to 3.5V with a DC offset of 2.5V.

IF output signal: (http://tinypic.com/r/2gx2zd1/8)

I want to sample the signal with an ADC that has a reference voltage from 0 to 5V and use the mid range of 2.5V for better sampling.

So,I prefer to shift the signal and amplify to make it from 0.5V to 4.5V with a offset of 2.5V.

Desired output signal(http://tinypic.com/r/2cmvkt4/8)

I tried coupled capacitor then level shift and gain with op-amp, also other shifting circuit, but the coupled capacitor to block the DC causes a little phase shift which is not desireable. So I don't want to filter the DC and aamplify to my desired signal. Please suggest me a circuit that will work without delay and phase shift.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Wouldn't it be better to sample the signal directly if your main concerns are delay and phase shift. If 6 dB of gain is important and you apply the same delay and phase shift to both I & Q, what have you lost?

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
usually for an I Q type reciever, the dc componant of the i and q are ignored as a leftover from the mixer. and the I and Q signals are sent to seperate amplifiers till they get to the demodulator circuit. if the seperate amps are identical, the phase relationship is maintained.

himadri117

Joined Nov 11, 2014
usually for an I Q type reciever, the dc componant of the i and q are ignored as a leftover from the mixer. and the I and Q signals are sent to seperate amplifiers till they get to the demodulator circuit. if the seperate amps are identical, the phase relationship is maintained.
Thanks for the reply. So you say I should filter out the DC using a coupled capacitor?
In that case there is no DC off set and I have the signal (with less than 2V peak to peak) going in the negative which is not good for the ADC. I simulated in spice shifting the voltage. But with my design I'm not able to get a signal from 0.5v to 4.5v with DC offset 2.5v... which would be a ideal case for sampling.

himadri117

Joined Nov 11, 2014
Wouldn't it be better to sample the signal directly if your main concerns are delay and phase shift. If 6 dB of gain is important and you apply the same delay and phase shift to both I & Q, what have you lost?
It is possible to sample the signal directly, but I"m trying to achieve the signal from 0.5v to 4.5v by shifting and amplifying.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
As I understand it the processor has an internal ADC. If Vss = -2.5V and Vdd = +2.5V, it means tha Vdd - Vss = 5V !! What is the problem with the reference? The range of the reference is -2.5 to 2.5 and you can use GND as the middle of the range.

It might help if you could give us a schematic with some part numbers instead of forcing us guess about everything.

AnalogKid

Joined Aug 1, 2013
You have two sources of delay. The amp delay probably is not frequency dependent unless you are pushing the gain-bandwidth curve. The coupling capacitor delay is freq dependent even if the corner frequency is several decades away from the frequency of interest. What about summing in a DC current to get the offset you want? That would eliminate the coupling cap problem. For the amps, go with a dual or quad amp chip to get the best performance matching.

ak