If I use two pumps in parallel can I increase l/min ?, and is also pressure increased ?

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
OK, most of what you are asking now is a matter of your exact application. Pumps in parallel will work as has been covered. I used my own sump pumps merely as an example. We all know there are all kinds of pumps and we choose a pump based on intended application. A solenoid valve is just a type of valve. I have used solenoid valves for water, air, steam and a few other things. Like pumps there are all sorts of solenoid valves and like pumps we choose based on our own applications. Even a simple hand drawn diagram with an explanation of your goal would help. While over the years I have worked with many pumps and valves industrial engineering is not my field or forte. :)

Ron

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
The best you can do is try it. If you fail, try something else. It is unlikely that you'll break anything or contaminate your well if you have check valves installed.

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
Impeller type pump, the pump load increases as pipe diameter increases.
In my case is Centrifugal Pump better or what's the best pump ?
Outlet is nearly exceeds 30 meters, 3/4" pipe, BUT for home automation experiments it's have about 20 elbows, and water flow is so small
Do you think centrifugal pump with 2" inlet and outlet with maximum 8 meters inlet and 9 meters outlet can works nicely for 3/4" outlets with 30 meters and massive elbows ?, someone was tried with 30 meters 3/4" and pump is fine

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
OK, lets back up just a little. The thread starter currently has three threads which all seem related. There is this thread which began with pumps in parallel, Then we now have Do you think it is possible to use rotary hammer to drill borehole DIY ? and finally we also have What's best stepper motor to make DIY motorized water valve ?. I can't help but think all of this should have consisted of a single thread starting with a well defined explanation of the objective in detail. This all becomes a game of connecting the dots. This also would go much better if the thread starter included even a rough diagram or schematic of their objective. All three threads do seem interconnected with each having bits of information. What began as simple is becoming more complex as threads are added.

Ron

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
OK, lets back up just a little. The thread starter currently has three threads which all seem related. There is this thread which began with pumps in parallel, Then we now have Do you think it is possible to use rotary hammer to drill borehole DIY ? and finally we also have What's best stepper motor to make DIY motorized water valve ?. I can't help but think all of this should have consisted of a single thread starting with a well defined explanation of the objective in detail. This all becomes a game of connecting the dots. This also would go much better if the thread starter included even a rough diagram or schematic of their objective. All three threads do seem interconnected with each having bits of information. What began as simple is becoming more complex as threads are added.

Ron
I think combining three distinctly different topics should be on three different threads. Why would we have some people discussing hammer drilling holes intertwined with answers about stepper motor valve control? And, for good measure, add a third discussion of chemical engineering/plumbing to address maximum flow rates. Would you have suggested these three topics be combined if they were posted by three different OPs? Combining them is a bad idea, even if all three are from the same OP - even if they are parts of the same project.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I think combining three distinctly different topics should be on three different threads. Why would we have some people discussing hammer drilling holes intertwined with answers about stepper motor valve control? And, for good measure, add a third discussion of chemical engineering/plumbing to address maximum flow rates. Would you have suggested these three topics be combined if they were posted by three different OPs? Combining them is a bad idea, even if all three are from the same OP - even if they are parts of the same project.
What I would have suggested is that in the very first post the thread starter made clear their intensions. My guess here is that all three threads are part of the same project. That being purely my guess. That said things generally go much better when a thread starter makes their objective clear and concise in the first post. While I agree they are all different topics I am betting all of this eventually ties together. When an objective is covered up front it just makes it easier for those wishing to help to give good advice. Again, purely my thinking on the subject. While each of three threads starts with a question none of the three clearly state an objective leaving us trying to guess exactly what the thread starter is trying to accomplish. Looking at the history of threads with multiple objectives things tend to go better when a project, in its entirety is well defined. Again, just my thoughts on the subject and as mentioned if anything electrical or electronic figure into this I have yet to find it.

Ron

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
What I would have suggested is that in the very first post the thread starter made clear their intensions. My guess here is that all three threads are part of the same project. That being purely my guess. That said things generally go much better when a thread starter makes their objective clear and concise in the first post. While I agree they are all different topics I am betting all of this eventually ties together. When an objective is covered up front it just makes it easier for those wishing to help to give good advice. Again, purely my thinking on the subject. While each of three threads starts with a question none of the three clearly state an objective leaving us trying to guess exactly what the thread starter is trying to accomplish. Looking at the history of threads with multiple objectives things tend to go better when a project, in its entirety is well defined. Again, just my thoughts on the subject and as mentioned if anything electrical or electronic figure into this I have yet to find it.

Ron
No... there should be separated thread because is a difference projects and intensions..., and some question is started by my sister, actually not one thread starter/OP

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
No... there should be separated thread because is a difference projects and intensions..., and some question is started by my sister, actually not one thread starter/OP
Works for me. However, try and clearly define an objective when starting a thread. This just makes it much easier to address a topic. Also, your sister can feel free to create her own account here. Two people using the same name is not always a good idea. As to this thread it is pretty much question asked and question answered. That good with you?

Ron

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
Works for me. However, try and clearly define an objective when starting a thread. This just makes it much easier to address a topic. Also, your sister can feel free to create her own account here. Two people using the same name is not always a good idea. As to this thread it is pretty much question asked and question answered. That good with you?

Ron
STOP ANSWERING WITH IRRELEVANT QUESTION... THE QUESTION IS VERY CLEAR...

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021

Ron
IRRELEVANT ANSWER... STOP IT...

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
If I use two pumps in parallel can I increase l/min ?, and is also pressure increased ?
My Pump is 20 liters/min at 5m head and 10 liters/min at 28m head, If I use Two Pump in parallel can I get 20 liters/min at 28m head ?
and Is my water pressure increased ?
Hello,

This gets a little complicated. In theory if you have two independent pumps and independent flow lines (pipes) for each pump then you get double the flow rate, and the pressure in EACH pipe is the same.
This means that if you originally had two independent systems you would pump twice the fluid as in one system, and the pressure for each system would be the same as just one system alone.
What else this explicitly points out is that you are starting with a given set of pumps and a given set of pipes, and the pipes all have a certain diameter to start with. It is assumed that the intake pipes are the same and the output pipes are the same, both in diameter and length, but the two output pipes do not have to be the same as the two input pipes. In this case you get twice the flow as one system.

Now the rest depends on how the system is modified. There are several ways in which to modify this system including:
1. Leave the two systems separate (easiest to understand)
2. Combine both output pipes in to one:
2a. using the same diameter as the original output pipes
2b. using a different diameter, probably larger than the original.
3. There would be other ways too, such as doing something similar with the input pipes (if there are any).

Let's look at 2b first. If we increase the diameter of the output pipe such that is has twice the area, then we get twice the flow again and the same pressure.
Now with 2a, we get twice the flow but because the diameter of the output pipe is the same as the diameter of the original pipe we have to think about the effective resistance of that pipe and the effect of doubling the flow rate. Using a simple equation similar to that in electronics, we have:
Q=P/R
but here Q is the volumetric flow rate and P is the pressure and R is the resistance.
We said we double the flow, so we have 2*Q as we did before, and since the resistance of the pipe didnt change, we still have 1*R, and so to keep this equality true we have to double the pressure P.
So if the output pipe is the same diameter as original we get, in simple terms, double the flow and double the pressure.
There is just a little bit more to this story about case 2a however, and that is the basic efficiency of the pump. The pump will tend to be a little less efficient because it has to work harder to keep that same flow. Depending on the type of pump mechanics and the motor driving it, it could be a lot of difference or just a little. This is probably why these kinds of problems are better solved with some measurements.

The electrical equivalent would be resistors for the pipes, and the pumps would be like voltage supplies with series resistances. There could also be some load resistance also though, if the output pipes go uphill, so you can see there are different variables to consider. Knowing all these variables you might be able to calculate the approximate flow rate and pressure for a given system, but it's hard to know everything about this unless it is maybe a hydraulic system.

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
Hello,

This gets a little complicated. In theory if you have two independent pumps and independent flow lines (pipes) for each pump then you get double the flow rate, and the pressure in EACH pipe is the same.
This means that if you originally had two independent systems you would pump twice the fluid as in one system, and the pressure for each system would be the same as just one system alone.
What else this explicitly points out is that you are starting with a given set of pumps and a given set of pipes, and the pipes all have a certain diameter to start with. It is assumed that the intake pipes are the same and the output pipes are the same, both in diameter and length, but the two output pipes do not have to be the same as the two input pipes. In this case you get twice the flow as one system.

Now the rest depends on how the system is modified. There are several ways in which to modify this system including:
1. Leave the two systems separate (easiest to understand)
2. Combine both output pipes in to one:
2a. using the same diameter as the original output pipes
2b. using a different diameter, probably larger than the original.
3. There would be other ways too, such as doing something similar with the input pipes (if there are any).

Let's look at 2b first. If we increase the diameter of the output pipe such that is has twice the area, then we get twice the flow again and the same pressure.
Now with 2a, we get twice the flow but because the diameter of the output pipe is the same as the diameter of the original pipe we have to think about the effective resistance of that pipe and the effect of doubling the flow rate. Using a simple equation similar to that in electronics, we have:
Q=P/R
but here Q is the volumetric flow rate and P is the pressure and R is the resistance.
We said we double the flow, so we have 2*Q as we did before, and since the resistance of the pipe didnt change, we still have 1*R, and so to keep this equality true we have to double the pressure P.
So if the output pipe is the same diameter as original we get, in simple terms, double the flow and double the pressure.
There is just a little bit more to this story about case 2a however, and that is the basic efficiency of the pump. The pump will tend to be a little less efficient because it has to work harder to keep that same flow. Depending on the type of pump mechanics and the motor driving it, it could be a lot of difference or just a little. This is probably why these kinds of problems are better solved with some measurements.

The electrical equivalent would be resistors for the pipes, and the pumps would be like voltage supplies with series resistances. There could also be some load resistance also though, if the output pipes go uphill, so you can see there are different variables to consider. Knowing all these variables you might be able to calculate the approximate flow rate and pressure for a given system, but it's hard to know everything about this unless it is maybe a hydraulic system.
Thanks for your answer...
I use 1" PVC for intake, before is 3/4" pipe, intake pipe area is about 156% than before, temporarily larger pipe isn't enough because well case is only 2", not enough for 1¼" check valve or 1½" check valve, 398mm² vs 615mm² pipe area
For output pipe I use two 3/4" pipe but with difference line, old line is buried underground, and new line is inside roof, but double line is only reach junction near load point (I use 1½" Pipe for junction), from junction to load point (bathroom, faucet,...) is only 3/4"
But with these I system, think I can use two or more faucet with bigger flow, because from junction near load point (5 branch) I use two 3/4" pipe

meowsoft

Joined Feb 27, 2021
Problem is old output pipe have too many ellbows, not efficient, there is no forced standard for household plumbing in my area, so... old line was not my design... very bad design... also was up and down about 40cm, like roller coaster but in rectangle model... not like in US... there is code for household plumbing there...

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009

Ron
I agree with your suggestion, and consider it basic troubleshooting to flush out the noise. The subsequent responses are arrogant and have a questionable aroma.