Identifying reflected electromagnetic waves

TheSpArK505

Joined Sep 25, 2013
Hello Guys, hope you all doing well.

I'm working on a project in communication, I need to transmit radio waves and recieve a particular wave. This particular reflected wave should have a change in it's characteristic so that I can discriminate it !! wheather it has x*wave lenghth of transmitted or it has a fixed higher or smaller frequency or anything .
And what I need in particular is a substance (soild ). Like for example if this substance is in a shape of tape wrapped on a cup. when I send a signal this cup- among hundreds- will reflect a signal with a specific characteristic due to the tape, so that I can find it.

I hope the Idea is clear.

waiting for your answers guys.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
You need to be researching microwave region material properties.

Lower freq "radio" band radiation has a much lower interaction with small everyday common items.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Even if you do receive a distinctive signal, how will you know which direction it came from? Or isn't that important?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Your title says electromagnetic waves; your question is far more restrictive. What you ask about doing is very easy to do with light and fluorescence. I am not aware that one get analogous fluorescence from radio waves and certainly not at room temperature.

Can you use light?

John

TheSpArK505

Joined Sep 25, 2013
Your title says electromagnetic waves; your question is far more restrictive. What you ask about doing is very easy to do with light and fluorescence. I am not aware that one get analogous fluorescence from radio waves and certainly not at room temperature.

Can you use light?

John
No it's restricted to electromagnetic waves

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Do you want the fluorescence to be visible to others or in a portion of the spectra that human eyes can't see? Does it matter?
John

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Then you should look up "near-infrared fluorescent dyes." Here is one of many links: http://www.lumiprobe.com/c/nir-infrared-dyes

While you could also use UV dyes, because of the Stokes shift, you will have a more difficult time keeping the emission fully in the UV, and your source and detector would likely be more complicated than ones designed for IR. In fact with near-IR, you could probably just use the view finder on a typical digital camera to see which cup is marked.

John