Identifying an unknown (to me!) PC board connector

ht0030

Joined Feb 15, 2020
Hi. Can anyone identify this connector (image attached)? This "appears" to contain four male pins though the connector itself appears to be female. I can see four leads on the PC board in its vicinity, though that of course doesn't guarantee the pin count. I'd like to identify this connector and especially its mate so that I can obtain one -- ideally with a ribbon or other cable already attached since it appears that dealing with those very small pins would not be easy if I had to assemble the mating connector myself. This connector is very approximately 1cm across at its widest point. The actual opening is extremely narrow vertically relative to the PC board -- I don't have a good way to measure that dimension. Thanks very much!

Attachments

ht0030

Joined Feb 15, 2020
It looks like a FPC/FFC connector without an obvious locking mechanism. Given the 1 cm overall width and only 4 conductors I wildly guess the pitch is 1 mm. You can measure edge to edge on the pins and get a better estimate.

Here's one example: https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/molex/0527930470/WM3387CT-ND/2405608

There are hundreds to thousands of choices.
Thanks very much! Well, now the trick is to narrow it down. I also sent the photos off to Digi-Key today -- they just now responded that they couldn't identify it. It would have to be a bizarro world connector. Thanks again!

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I don't see any pressing reason it needs to be duplicated or replaced. A measurement of pitch and determination of whether the electrical contacts are top or bottom of the cable should get you pretty close. Then try a piece of FPC and see how it feels. They do come spec'd for thickness also. If you have a piece of the original cable, measure it.

I like the locking versions, and I do not see a lock on your connector. They aren't required if the friction fit feels right.

ht0030

Joined Feb 15, 2020
It's not going to be easy to measure the pitch. The area of the connector is so confined that I can't even get a good photo inside. I may be misunderstanding you. The only FPC I have around are connector-less ribbon and fit into pressure sockets. The socket on this PC board apparently has four male pins in it, so will require a connector. But I don't think I've ever seen connectors narrow enough vertically to fit in there. Am I missing something obvious? Thanks.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Those "pins" looked more like sliding contacts in the pictures, which I supposed are not gendered. Like the inside of an FPC connector. If they are free-standing pins, I would consider replacing the connector with a standard FPC type..

ht0030

Joined Feb 15, 2020
I don't see any pressing reason it needs to be duplicated or replaced. A measurement of pitch and determination of whether the electrical contacts are top or bottom of the cable should get you pretty close. Then try a piece of FPC and see how it feels. They do come spec'd for thickness also. If you have a piece of the original cable, measure it.

I like the locking versions, and I do not see a lock on your connector. They aren't required if the friction fit feels right.
I also have connectors like these, which appear close but would not fit without modification even if the pitch is correct.

Attachments

ht0030

Joined Feb 15, 2020
It's not going to be easy to measure the pitch. The area of the connector is so confined that I can't even get a good photo inside. I may be misunderstanding you. The only FPC I have around are connector-less ribbon and fit into pressure sockets. The socket on this PC board apparently has four male pins in it, so will require a connector. But I don't think I've ever seen connectors narrow enough vertically to fit in there. Am I missing something obvious? Thanks.
Those "pins" looked more like sliding contacts in the pictures, which I supposed are not gendered. Like the inside of an FPC connector. If they are free-standing pins, I would consider replacing the connector with a standard FPC type..
Replacing the connector is not a desirable option at this time. If all else fails digging down in there may be the only path forward, but I'd sure prefer to avoid that if I can!

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Connector in post #10 looks like a standard female JST connector with about 2 mm (maybe smaller) pitch. Measures are very important.

ht0030

Joined Feb 15, 2020
For the record, I believe I've identified the required mate for the mystery connector on the board. I can't 100% verify pin pitch but I'm pretty sure I'm right. The needed connector looks to be the Molex 511460400 (0400 for 4 pins). This is an empty connector that requires separate pins to be inserted. Hopefully I'll be able to verify this identification fairly soon when I get hold of one -- they appear to be quite widely sourced. Thanks all for your help!