Identifying a 2000's Texas Instruments component

Catlish

Joined Dec 18, 2020
Hello, first post here.

I've been trying to reverse engineer a transistorized engine ignition from the 2000's era.

The circuit is pretty basic, but I can't find a datasheet for a Texas Instruments component which I would guess to be a mosfet of some kind.

The element says "ATOM A1" or something like that.

Googling for Atom A1 or Atom AI brings no valuable information.

Can anyone help me locate the datasheet for this component?
IMG_20220821_195209621~2.jpg

Catlish

Joined Dec 18, 2020
I don't think that's a legitimate TI part. The logo just doesn't look right.
Please note that this is a reverse engineering project. I had to use destructive means to depot this circuit from the epoxy. It got a little scratched up in the process.

As for the legitimacy of the part, I can't assure anything.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Please note that this is a reverse engineering project. I had to use destructive means to depot this circuit from the epoxy. It got a little scratched up in the process.

As for the legitimacy of the part, I can't assure anything.
I've looked at an extensive library of TI logos and the one on your chip is just wrong.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I understand.

And what about the component itself?
Is it possible to identify it in any way? Or is it just 'too' generic?
The package is a TO-220 which is common for power transistors (BJT & MOSFET) as well as voltage regulators. That's about the best guess I have. If you had documented the surrounding circuitry a better guess might be possible.

Catlish

Joined Dec 18, 2020
Maybe someone has re-marked a transistor as part of this
Yes! This is exactly it.

Mine got damaged by heat and the plastic surrounding the component got damaged beyond recognition.
I just focused on that element and it never occurred to me to look for it as an atom ingition module.

That post also contains a suitable replacement for the transistor itself.

I really can't ask for anything else. Thanks a lot.