identify an LCD development platform

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
Hi team

I am quite impress with this touch LCD interface, just wandering how can I find out more about this? eg what is the hardware and more importantly, what software does it use to develop the GUI?

Here is the image, link, it's the interface for a Flashforge 3d printer.

Thanks team!

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
Your device only says 3.5” color lcd. Here’s the standard 480x320 that folks use with raspberry pi. It could be run using 8 bit chips as well. I have one in my creakily that runs an atmega2560. https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pitft-3-dot-5-touch-screen-for-raspberry-pi

You can get 800x480 as well but you will want a cortex M3 for one of those. They go up in price as they get denser. You can find cheaper than the Adafruit website but they have good documentation there. A friend of mine just upgraded to a 800x480 on his opensource RC transmitter.

There are number of ways of doing the images. Static screens like the ones used for menus are not very hard. Image files are usually stored on SD cards.

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
Your device only says 3.5” color lcd. Here’s the standard 480x320 that folks use with raspberry pi. It could be run using 8 bit chips as well. I have one in my creakily that runs an atmega2560. https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-pitft-3-dot-5-touch-screen-for-raspberry-pi

You can get 800x480 as well but you will want a cortex M3 for one of those. They go up in price as they get denser. You can find cheaper than the Adafruit website but they have good documentation there. A friend of mine just upgraded to a 800x480 on his opensource RC transmitter.

There are number of ways of doing the images. Static screens like the ones used for menus are not very hard. Image files are usually stored on SD cards.
Are the update fast?

Wolframore

Joined Jan 21, 2019
With a raspberry pi yes. It all depends on what you’re doing. Check all the examples out there. Don’t forget they have Cortex M4 32 bit running 700MHz on the newest Teensey. For menus you don’t need it.

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
With a raspberry pi yes. It all depends on what you’re doing. Check all the examples out there. Don’t forget they have Cortex M4 32 bit running 700MHz on the newest Teensey. For menus you don’t need it.
Can you briefly explain how to implement a GUI, or point me to some links please?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I have been using STM32F MCUs for quite awhile now, in particular STM32F407 and STM32F746-DISCO.
As you say TouchGFX is very impressive. STM32F as a whole is very impressive.

I had already written my own graphics package with LCD touch screen before TouchGFX came along. Hence I didn't migrate to using it.

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
I have been using STM32F MCUs for quite awhile now, in particular STM32F407 and STM32F746-DISCO.
As you say TouchGFX is very impressive. STM32F as a whole is very impressive.

I had already written my own graphics package with LCD touch screen before TouchGFX came along. Hence I didn't migrate to using it.
Do you mind me asking what type of application you use STM32F4 and STM32F7 for?

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
I posted a few threads on my STM32 journey here on AAC.

I began using an STM32F407 to drive a VGA screen directly with no additional chips required. This became a gamma-ray pulse height analyzer with a 42Msps ADC.

When the STM32F746-DISCO came available, I moved over to the touch screen LCD. I have plans to create an oscilloscope eventually.

I have been using this as audio spectrum analyzer, muscial note analyzer. I have plans to use it to record bat sounds.

bug13

Joined Feb 13, 2012
I posted a few threads on my STM32 journey here on AAC.

I began using an STM32F407 to drive a VGA screen directly with no additional chips required. This became a gamma-ray pulse height analyzer with a 42Msps ADC.

When the STM32F746-DISCO came available, I moved over to the touch screen LCD. I have plans to create an oscilloscope eventually.

I have been using this as audio spectrum analyzer, muscial note analyzer. I have plans to use it to record bat sounds.
Sounds like some very cool projects can take advantage of this powerful MCU!

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
When I get back to my home base in mid-October I will start a blog to show how you can create a DIY 2-channel oscilloscope based on the STM32F746G-DISCO.