Identification component on PCB

guerrez

Joined Jan 26, 2012
Hi all,

I would like to know if you can recognize this component, it seems a transformer to me, it has in total 6 pin: 3 on one side and 3 on the other side. I am confused, because as far as I know, on the primary there should be only 2 pin...

Here the pictures:

upload_2015-9-18_7-56-31.png upload_2015-9-18_7-56-50.png

Pinout:
upload_2015-9-18_7-57-12.png

Thank you for the support!

guerrez

Center-tapped primary and secondaries are common.

A good reason for a center tapped primary is in power production. The center tap is ties to a DC voltage and the ends are commutated to ground.

3 taps for a primary can be used for 0 120 240, for instance. Dual primaries are also common.

guerrez

Joined Jan 26, 2012
Thank you for the fast answer, do you have some link references to theory on centered tap transformers on both primary and secondary? I cannot find anything online. Thank you,

guerrez

Joined Nov 30, 2010
It's too simple for anybody to write, "The Theory of Why and How Transformers Have Taps at Different Points in a Winding". When you are designing or winding a transformer, you can add as many windings and taps as you want in order to make as many voltages as you want. Which ever taps YOU don't need, don't connect anything to them. Not connecting anything to a voltage tap you don't need has no effect on the rest of the transformer functions.