Ideas / project to use with palm sized drone. (Formerly metal and mine detection)

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
hi Bod,
I am not suggesting attaching a mini-sat to your drone...:rolleyes:
I am trying to suggest that if a sat-cam can show vegetation differences from say 120miles high, a drone with a decent resolution camera, using light filters should be able detect changes in the terrain, when flying at few tens of feet above the ground.
E
Aerial photography has also been used to detect ancient buried settlements by observing the vegetation patterns over them.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
I would buy one that will fetch my newspaper when the delivery person throws it in the middle of the yard after 18 inches of snow.

Bob

What I design my mine totally of plastic?

Just a side thought here but during the past week I have had three visits from people looking for my utilities and sewer lines. Upgrading our natural gas service to support a larger standby generator. Natural gas line is about 6 foot below the concrete driveway, water supply is down about 8 feet and the sanitary sewer also about 6 feet. The guys who showed up for this preliminary stuff all used what appeared to be a ground radar of sorts and none had a problem finding what they were looking for. The gas line is unique as it is an older fiberglass pipe line.

I saw no coils like a metal detector would have, matter of fact the heads of their hand held units were rectangular and maybe 3" wide by 6" long. Since I have played this game before I know where all my buried utilities are and how deep. I did some concrete cute in the curb years ago to mark them. The guys who showed up all were within an inch of my marks and now I have little flags on my property. Yellow for natural gas, Blue for water main and Green for the sanitary sewer. Whatever they used was accurate and could detect utilities as deep as 10 feet.

Ron

I wonder if they have a LAbron flag?

https://www.kellycodetectors.com/ca...MI-O-lr47-2wIVBGSGCh1AaAp7EAkYBCABEgLC2vD_BwE

Thread title and TS says this is for a palm sized drone and a larger drone isn't possible.
Yes it does. I will apologize for a second time. I will even put a little white flag on your lawn, if you want....right after you post the schematic of your design for the palm-sized metal detector that works on a drone and finds land mines. And let me apologize a third time, for whatever your next post is.

Why, and how, would I post a circuit for something I suggested earlier was unlikely to work?
Next...
Why? Because you know everything.

Next? You really want to go at it and I shall oblige you, because I tire of the so-called expert on all matters, who knows how something cannot be done and expounds on that judgement with the gravitas of a deity.

First, please know that my previous apologies were sarcastic (there is no text in the User Agreement stating that sarcasm is prohibited).

You do not “own” the thread. You are not the sole decider of what technologies should or should not be discussed. The TS is not offering a contract to bid on and does not have a strict set of requirements as one might expect in such a contract. In fact, even a casual reading of the posts shows that the TS is looking for input on the technologies that might be applicable to the task, while admitting that the task is not yet completely clear in his mind.

The loop metal detection was discussed as it is obviously relevant. It could also have been expanded upon with light robotic crawlers.

Your suggestion that the TS take pictures for a year and compare the seasonal growth patterns to determine where the metal is located is, in my view, laughable. Your evidence for the approach is that they have used such comparisons to uncover buried ancient civilizations, as though that was a definitive rationale for the present task. But, I didn’t (until now) say why that is, to me, ridiculous….because, the thread is more brain-storming than a bill of requirements for a contract.

The same goes for your "bounce the weight"...to detect metal from a *clang* sound or just to detonate a mine? And if you are truly trying to detonate mines, wouldn't you have some load-issues with your palm-sized drone? Never mind that you can discuss the topic with a self-imposed restriction for simple metal detection and not the life-and-death seriousness of actual live mine detection which has no business in a public EE forum at all, in my view. Still, we are brain storming so I said nothing

Using photography to visually identify objects is, of course, reasonable to talk about (whether satellite or custom) and several suggestions were made on that approach (including by you). It is a relevant suggestion. The idea is to visually detect an object. Why you decided that he should also use, “for variety”, IR and UV cameras is more than puzzling, since I don’t see how they would seriously aid in the search. You left that information out of your post and it might have been educational. But, since it is only for variety with absolutely no rationale offered value or practicality or justification for cost, I didn’t jump in to say that it will not work…because it is brain-storming.

GPR is obviously relevant and you brought it up. But you decided that when I brought it up, expanding on the idea and showing applications and its common use with drones, you decided that you HAD to jump in to slam the posts. Even though it is brain-storming and even though you were the first to bring it up, you decided that it was important enough for you to weigh in with the definitive “NO”.

That, in a nutshell is why YOU are the one that should apologize for rigid and “if I didn’t say it, it can’t be good and even if I did say it, it can’t be worthy when someone else says it” – no wonder you have palm size problems.

There is no doubt in my mind that you can complain and find at least one moderator who will delete my response (recently I saw a moderator actually volunteer to delete any of my posts in a thread that the TS wanted deleted – before deleting the entire thread and claiming it was not because the TS wanted it deleted).

There is also no doubt in [my] mind that you will uncover 100,000 ancient civilizations with your suggestion well before the day comes that I do not call you out when I think that you are wrong and I feel like letting you know.

When you stomp on posts with thread-relevant content, it discourages others from participating. It is especially bad when you do it in a thread that is clearly designed to discuss and generate ideas. It is bad for users and it is bad for the forum and it is distinctly contrary to the principle and purpose of the forum.

You called for “next” and you got it served to you on a plate. Now you will come back with what you said, what you didn’t say, what you meant, all you did, all you didn’t do, all that you know (of course nothing about what you don’t know) and so on and so forth…but you will not do it with my further input to you in this thread, because I have told you what I think and done so in a straightforward manner and if you don’t like that, then too bad.

be80be

Joined Jul 5, 2008
Where not at the palm-size drone maybe soon but that's asking a lot and finding pipes really not going to find mines
the people who find pipe pipe finder is about 2 pound works good for water and power and gas if the pipe is the right kind

But a mine lets say most look like metal there is no power supply you step it pops a latch you move and you die.

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
The same goes for your "bounce the weight"...to detect metal from a *clang* sound or just to detonate a mine? And if you are truly trying to detonate mines, wouldn't you have some load-issues with your palm-sized drone? Never mind that you can discuss the topic with a self-imposed restriction for simple metal detection and not the life-and-death seriousness of actual live mine detection which has no business in a public EE forum at all, in my view. Still, we are brain storming so I said nothing
You really haven't been following this have you?
Check post #12 and who posted it.

Bod

Joined Sep 18, 2016
hi Bod,
I am not suggesting attaching a mini-sat to your drone...:rolleyes:
I am trying to suggest that if a sat-cam can show vegetation differences from say 120miles high, a drone with a decent resolution camera, using light filters should be able detect changes in the terrain, when flying at few tens of feet above the ground.
E
Ok, I get what you mean now but since I am curious:
Would it be possible to attach a mini satellite to the bottom of a drone?

Thanks,
Dream

Bod

Joined Sep 18, 2016
Thanks for every reply on this post!

You really haven't been following this have you?
I try to. This is more replies than I probably have gotten on any forum.
EDIT: I read every post, sometimes I just dont take them into consideration.

It seems that one can.
Whether this will fit on the drone, i'm not sure, but it seems like something I was looking for. Where can you buy GPRs? I can only seem to find them on the "trollies" that can ride along the floor: http://cablelocatorsandsurvey.com/g...MI2pWr2viA3AIVDbobCh3MgAa_EAkYAiABEgJQ_fD_BwE

Aerial photography has also been used to detect ancient buried settlements by observing the vegetation patterns over them.
This sound interesting. Does the drone have to fly very high in the sky or does it just take many pictures a few feet off the ground and then they are pieced together to make a large image?

ebeowulf17

Joined Aug 12, 2014
Ok, I get what you mean now but since I am curious:
Would it be possible to attach a mini satellite to the bottom of a drone?

Thanks,
Dream
I've never seen a satellite small enough to be carried by a palm sized drone.

More to the point, why would you want to pay the thousands (millions?) of dollars that any device designed for the rigors of space will cost? Whatever technology you want in a mini satellite will be available at much lower cost if it's not space-ready.

Bod

Joined Sep 18, 2016
I've never seen a satellite small enough to be carried by a palm sized drone.

More to the point, why would you want to pay the thousands (millions?) of dollars that any device designed for the rigors of space will cost? Whatever technology you want in a mini satellite will be available at much lower cost if it's not space-ready.
Fair enough - just looking at google images of "tiny satellite" I can see what you mean about the devices for space. It seems like 90% of images are space based.

Made round base diameter 320 mm for drone from aluminum thin wall tube ST20097 diameter 10mm, weight 42.5 g.
On tube put ferrite ring with enameled copper wire winding. Number of turns depends on inductance you need.
So such drone base will work as metal detector coil.
View attachment 155496
How big should the ferrite ring be and should it be located in a specific place on the aluminium (aluminum for those who like it like that) ring?

Thanks,
Bod

Yeah but it's just a big #23. Wonder where he will play next year? :)

Ron
We know now. I wish he would have stayed, but I hope he gets some more rings with LA.

My nomination for the State the Obvious (aka NoSSherlock) award goes to the Cleveland Sports Writer today... "There is no replacing LeBron. You don't get better when he leaves, you get worse. The Cavs know this, so now, right this minute, is not the time to boast of a bright future."

Danko

Joined Nov 22, 2017
How big should the ferrite ring be and should it be located in a specific place on the aluminium (aluminum for those who like it like that) ring?

Thanks,
Bod
Ferrite ring 25.3x14.8x10
It can be located in any place on contiguous base ring (aluminium-UK, aluminum-US, алюминий-in my native language:)).
EDIT:
It is not easy to bend thin wall tube. Therefore from same piece (1000 mm) of tube you can made square base 250x250 mm.
Metal_detector2.PNG

Last edited: