iCircuit Unable to Launch on Mac OSX

drmanmachine

Joined Mar 12, 2016
Good Morning, I am struggling to figure out how to launch iCircuit on my Mac OSX. I am not sure if others here use it, but I am desperately trying to get an answer since I feel like it will take some time to hear back from the developer. I don't use it professionally, but I do use it for doing quick simulations.

Every time I try to open the software, it responds with a prompt stating that it could not launch iCircuit because it cannot find the executable 'iCircuit.exe' and proceeds to give me the path of the folder where I suppose it should be. I have attached a photo for reference. If anyone here has any sort of advice on how to solve this, I would appreciate it. I have done research on the internet, the developer's website and its supporting forum but have found no documentation on this.

Thanks!Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 9.23.01 PM.png

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I am not a Mac user but I would navigate through the path shown and see if the executable file is where it is looking for it. Just as an example here is an example of a path to an executable file on my system:
"C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\arduino.exe"
If I just navigate to that location I will see my executable arduino.exe much like you should see iCircuit.exe where the system is looking for it. If the Mac OS has a search function you can search for that executable file.

Ron

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Macs don't use .exe files. You may have a Windows version.

As Google phrases it:
"You cannot run an.exe file in Mac OS. It is a Windows file. An .exe is an executable file for Windows so won't work on the Mac. Depending on what kind of application this exe is for, you may even be able to use Wine or Winebottler to run it on Mac"

Another way is to install VirtualBox (Free from Larry Ellison) and install Windows on that, then run it under Windows.

drmanmachine

Joined Mar 12, 2016

As Google phrases it:
"You cannot run an.exe file in Mac OS. It is a Windows file. An .exe is an executable file for Windows so won't work on the Mac. Depending on what kind of application this exe is for, you may even be able to use Wine or Winebottler to run it on Mac"

Another way is to install VirtualBox (Free from Larry Ellison) and install Windows on that, then run it under Windows.
Strange because I downloaded the app via the Mac App Store.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019

As Google phrases it:

The "MonoBundle" in the path is the clue. This is an app written using MS tools and ported to the Mac. I think it's designed to use as much of the code as possible without a rewrite, but I am not familiar enough to know if it uses the original .exe to do it, though I suspect it does.

It is a MacOS application but it's a ported one.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Well live and learn. Thanks to those who shared that. As mentioned I have never really used a Mac or have any familiarity with a Mac Operating System.

Ron

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Well live and learn. Thanks to those who shared that. As mentioned I have never really used a Mac or have any familiarity with a Mac Operating System.

Ron
In MacOS things are a little weird. A .app bundle is a directory but it looks like a singular file in Finder (the MacOS file explorer thingy). You can navigate into it but it's not obvious how to do it. In a way, it makes apps a lot more self contained and somewhat protected but when something goes wrong it can be confusing to the neophyte.

drmanmachine

Joined Mar 12, 2016
In MacOS things are a little weird. A .app bundle is a directory but it looks like a singular file in Finder (the MacOS file explorer thingy). You can navigate into it but it's not obvious how to do it. In a way, it makes apps a lot more self contained and somewhat protected but when something goes wrong it can be confusing to the neophyte.
Like myself. I found a solution on the web a while back when I ran into this exact problem, but I wasn’t smart enough at the time to save whatever I discovered. I’m at the mercy of the developer.