IC Tester

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by nielz, Nov 3, 2017.

1. nielz

Thread Starter New Member

May 4, 2017
    Try to make an IC Tester by using LEDS in inputs and outputs and toggle switches to ignate the inputs ,by using IC data sheet to determinning bias bins positive and negative also inputs and outputs,by appling clock to input one by one and observing output led we can decide if that IC work or idle .
    I wait your openions and discussions.
    Thanks.

2. dl324

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 30, 2015
    nielz and absf like this.
  3. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    I did an IC tester many years ago on a DG Nova 2 minicomputer.

It would be easier using programmable logic such as a microcontroller and a data base of all ICs that you want to test.

My system was also able to ID unmarked logic ICs (purchased as grab bags at Ham Fests).

4. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    NE555 x1 (pulse generator), switches x20, push switch x1, 10mA/3mm LEDs x20, 330Ω x18, 1K x18, 2.0mm Pin hole row seat, DIP, 20 pin x4, something like that.

5. nielz

May 4, 2017
    Thank you,
    appreciate your help but I'm looking for surface mounted IC Tester ,you know most current electronics use surface mounted if you know a type of this kind I'll be Great thank to you.
    Yours.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2017
  6. absf

Dec 29, 2010
    I doubt there's any one designing an IC tester for LSI SMD chips, as this is going to be a mega project.

If you're talking about 74xx/40xx logic chips in SMD footprint, there are chip adaptor sockets that would convert the small chips to stand .1" which is easy for the test points to be checked.

Is this project for hobby purposes or for marketing?

Allen

7. nielz

May 4, 2017
    Thanks Allen
    This tobic is so old and many ideas supmmited ,but there is amazing desings we could use of it and modify it with new electronics one of this awesome designes issued in wireless world magazine- January 1973 ,the checker seems to be chip adaptor socket or like stamp tool covering the chip and test result appear on led desiblay above.
    wireless world-january 1973.PNG

8. dl324

AAC Fanatic!

Mar 30, 2015
    HP had one too:
    upload_2017-11-9_8-33-28.png

I have several and actually used one to troubleshoot a defective curve tracer that had a defective TTL chip in the circuit that controlled how many traces were shown.

An advantage of the HP10529A I referenced above is that it can test chips in circuit. You attach the clip to the device being tested with a known good device in the tester. It uses pulse stretchers to display differences.

I was going to try it on CMOS, but never got around to it.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  9. absf

Dec 29, 2010
    In the 70s' the company called Global Specialties made the LM-1 logic monitor.

Now you still can find them here and here...

On the eBay site picture, it doesn't look very complicated... All the components look discrete and I dont see any SMD IC inside. May be someone here can figure out how to design one with similar functions.

logic specialties LM-1.jpg
    Or you can just buy it for $29.00 to study how's the circuit inside works..

Allen

10. absf

Dec 29, 2010
    Here's the later version...

GLO-LM-2A-2.jpg