I want to learn more....

SigmaCeq

Joined Jul 30, 2009
Interesting topic.

I find it intriguing that the majority of the world's greatest scientists/matheticians/physicists believed in some form of a Supreme Being. This includes Newton, Einsten, Faraday, Galileo, etc. Many of these scientists began their research on inspiration found in religious texts or considered themselves to be studying the mind of God. Considering this, it has always irritated me to some extent when I am told by fellow scientists that God most certainly can not exist. For one thing, it is simply impossible to prove or disprove God's existence. If you choose to believe there is no God, I cannot change your viewpoint and will not try; all I can do is share mine. But since so many great minds throughout the history of the world placed their faith in something beyond themselves, I don't see any reason why such a concept should be looked down upon.

count_volta

Joined Feb 4, 2009
Interesting topic.

I find it intriguing that the majority of the world's greatest scientists/matheticians/physicists believed in some form of a Supreme Being. This includes Newton, Einsten, Faraday, Galileo, etc. Many of these scientists began their research on inspiration found in religious texts or considered themselves to be studying the mind of God. Considering this, it has always irritated me to some extent when I am told by fellow scientists that God most certainly can not exist. For one thing, it is simply impossible to prove or disprove God's existence. If you choose to believe there is no God, I cannot change your viewpoint and will not try; all I can do is share mine. But since so many great minds throughout the history of the world placed their faith in something beyond themselves, I don't see any reason why such a concept should be looked down upon.
Its a dangerous topic to argue. Its much better with people who don't believe to just walk away friends and each with their own beliefs. As a christian I am not supposed to push my faith down people's throat, but let them know of it, and it is ultimately their choice to believe or not.

I just saw a fascinating documentary on Galileo, he was actually very religious but is known for fighting the church. He was fighting the old dogmatic catholic church which refused to believe that the earth was not the center of the universe. Galileo simply said, "The bible is not a textbook on astronomy, but that does not mean its false"

Last edited:

loosewire

Joined Apr 25, 2008
You are free,I hope to your opinion and any one else you can convince.
You will always be in the minority.Look around you at the place's
worship every where in the world. You are right? Every one else is
wrong.----The rock's called mountain's were push from the bottom
of the ocean's a long with sea shell's,Hard to beleif that one too.

Last edited:

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
Measurement is relative. A reference point is always needed. Units are defined.
True. We should not hold those in ancient times to standards defined after their deaths, but we do. The defendant does not have the chance to face his accusors.

There is a disconnect in the communication between our time and their time.

With each refinement, things happen. Remember when Pluto was a planet in this solar system? It wasn't that long ago, but, the international community stripped pluto of that designation. The discoverer of Pluto is long dead, soon his planet will be.

Nanophotonics

Joined Apr 2, 2009
I think it becomes harder to believe what people say as you acquire more and more knowledge. But it's also true that you'll always have to trust some people in your life without the need for tangible evidence.