I want to disconnect the battery from all circuits while charging

Ahmad.Oweda

Joined Jan 24, 2017
I have 12V DC battery, 12V DC Motor, and a (2 pin) socket to recharge the battery.

The Battery is connected to the Motor, and connected to the socket as well for recharging.

I want to disconnect the battery from the motor while charging, which means, when I put the charger in the socket it starts to recharge the battery but disconnect the battery from motor while charging.

I tried to use 12V Relay, (I got 8 Pin 12V relay), I connected it to the 2 pin socket and the motor to the Normally Closed pins so when the I plug the charger, it opens and disconnect the motor, but the problem is that the 2 pin charging socket should be connected to the battery (for charging) which means that the battery will be always connected to the relay pins which also means that it will be always open.

Any ideas how to connect this circuit? dc-24v-motor-control-elektromagnetische-spoel-10a-dpdt-relais-socket-w-gratis-verzending.jpg

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
If the motor current an charging current are within the ratings of a coaxial power connector you could use the type that has a set of contacts that open when the plug is inserted. (Most are like this.) This way you would not need a relay.

Les.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Why would you want to disconnect the motor during charging?
Isn't there a switch on the motor to turn it on/off when needed?

EM Fields

Joined Jun 8, 2016
I have 12V DC battery, 12V DC Motor, and a (2 pin) socket to recharge the battery.

The Battery is connected to the Motor, and connected to the socket as well for recharging.

I want to disconnect the battery from the motor while charging, which means, when I put the charger in the socket it starts to recharge the battery but disconnect the battery from motor while charging.

I tried to use 12V Relay, (I got 8 Pin 12V relay), I connected it to the 2 pin socket and the motor to the Normally Closed pins so when the I plug the charger, it opens and disconnect the motor, but the problem is that the 2 pin charging socket should be connected to the battery (for charging) which means that the battery will be always connected to the relay pins which also means that it will be always open.

Any ideas how to connect this circuit?
scan0003.png

Last edited:

Ahmad.Oweda

Joined Jan 24, 2017
If the motor current an charging current are within the ratings of a coaxial power connector you could use the type that has a set of contacts that open when the plug is inserted. (Most are like this.) This way you would not need a relay.

Les.
I'm not sure if the motor is that type so I prefer to use a relay, any ideas how to use it?

Ahmad.Oweda

Joined Jan 24, 2017
Why would you want to disconnect the motor during charging?
Isn't there a switch on the motor to turn it on/off when needed?
Yes but there are some other devices than the motor which I need to disconnect them all (will be the same idea so I mentioned only the motor), any idea how to do it with the relay?

paulktreg

Joined Jun 2, 2008
You put the motor on the same type of plug you have used on the battery charger so it's either motor plugged in or battery charger plugged in?

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
If you post the schematic of your circuit as it is now and information on the current drawn we would be in a better position to help. IF all the other loads are just connected in parallel with the motor then I don't see why the schematic posted by EM Fields in post #4 would not work.

Les.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Yes but there are some other devices than the motor which I need to disconnect them all (will be the same idea so I mentioned only the motor), any idea how to do it with the relay?
Not without you providing a clear schematic of the entire system so its clear what should be/what shouldn't be disconnected,etc...
I dislike having to guess at answers..

We have no idea why you even need to disconnect anything at this point..
The more we dig the more your project seems to be growing.. It started as a battery and a motor.. Now there are "other devices"...

Post all the details/schematic.. Define the issue.. Wait for a solution..