I wanna be Destin.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Not Destin, but another YouTuber I watch.

This would be a fun project. And I can think of a number of improvements I could make:

Ahhhh.... I bought the entire collection of "The Amateur Scientist" a while ago in a CD ... there was some beautiful hard-core science experiments and tech back in the day in that column... now it's just ultra-safe, scientifically-correct kinder garden level boring stuff...

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Destin is far cooler than I ever imagined:

The last few minutes of this video I think is relevant to our current political climate as well as the future of war against the world wide biological threats facing us now and in the future, a lesson can be learned here.

kv

Edit: Basically viruses and the like are a bigger threat to humans than we are to each other.

Last edited:

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Way overly simplified. Shows full open but not any of the idle or transition circuits. At idle or transition no fuel comes through the main jet in the venturi. At those stages the throttle blade acts as the venturi.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
That was pretty cool. Think of the odds it took for two civil war musket balls to meet head on. They opted to use the .45 Colt cartridge. The lead bullets for .45 Colt typically weigh in at about 250 grains with a safe velocity range between about 650 to 850 feet per second. Jacketed bullets can be pushed much harder (faster), well over 1,000 FPS. I load for that cartridge only owning a single revolver in the chambering. Really good video using the high speed camera.

Thanks for sharing....
Ron

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Not Destin, but another YouTuber I watch.

This would be a fun project. And I can think of a number of improvements I could make:

I somehow missed this long ago.

Improvements I could make? A few but I like his design as it shows a deep understanding of the process.
1688922507011.png
Melted the slit while running hot.
This is a industrial size ion source and analyzing section. The ion source is behind the red bushing at up to 90kV potential to the motorized unit on the left that has electrostatic plates to move and center the extracted beam.
The vacuum turbo pump in the middle pumps out unwanted ions from the analyzing chamber.
1688921880229.png
I was designing an interface for the special pump to interface with the standard I/O module.
1688922289775.png
1688922420027.png
prototype turbo interface
1688923876968.png
1688923906592.png
final interface board design.
1688922637510.png

Last edited:

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
That was pretty cool. Think of the odds it took for two civil war musket balls to meet head on. They opted to use the .45 Colt cartridge. The lead bullets for .45 Colt typically weigh in at about 250 grains with a safe velocity range between about 650 to 850 feet per second. Jacketed bullets can be pushed much harder (faster), well over 1,000 FPS. I load for that cartridge only owning a single revolver in the chambering. Really good video using the high speed camera.

Thanks for sharing....
Ron
The sheer volume of gunfire needs to be incorporated when assessing the odds. It might well be that it was actually likely that some number of these would happen. If the odds of some outcome are a million to one and something happens a trillion times it is unlikely the outcome won’t happen.

This is all to say the number of shots fired in Civil War battles was astonishing. It was enough to cut down trees in wooded areas combatants were hiding in. While I don’t know if it is the case, I wouldn’t be surprised, considering both the volume and the intention to hit someone who is also trying to hit you, if it was likely that some even relatively large number of such events should be expected.

What does seem to defy the odds is finding an example. Because, even if it was almost certain that some number (let’s even say 100) paired bullets would result, finding a pair among the huge number of other bullets seems like a stroke of luck.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
The sheer volume of gunfire needs to be incorporated when assessing the odds. It might well be that it was actually likely that some number of these would happen. If the odds of some outcome are a million to one and something happens a trillion times it is unlikely the outcome won’t happen.

This is all to say the number of shots fired in Civil War battles was astonishing. It was enough to cut down trees in wooded areas combatants were hiding in. While I don’t know if it is the case, I wouldn’t be surprised, considering both the volume and the intention to hit someone who is also trying to hit you, if it was likely that some even relatively large number of such events should be expected.

What does seem to defy the odds is finding an example. Because, even if it was almost certain that some number (let’s even say 100) paired bullets would result, finding a pair among the huge number of other bullets seems like a stroke of luck.
What I've always wondered, if not somewhat suspected, was whether or not that civil war bullet-on-bullet wasn't a hoax to begin with.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
What I've always wondered, if not somewhat suspected, was whether or not that civil war bullet-on-bullet wasn't a hoax to begin with.
It certainly could be. I don't know if anyone has done a thorough analysis of it. We probably have the technology at this point to do a really good job at vetting it.

I do wonder what a simulation would show about collisions, though. It is my intuition that such collisions would occur at least in single digits over the entire run of the war. The likelihood of finding such a pair seems to be inversely proportional to the likelihood of one being made, though.

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
Should have mentioned that that shop was much cleaner and air conditioned, something not ever thought of anywhere I worked.