I shorted by accident a simple Toy Car controller, what did I probably break?

eddie500

Joined Nov 5, 2011
Crazy story, my father bought this kids sit in car for his grandkid. When we got the car it would not go in reverse. I then decided to look at the circuit board and see if I could fix it, surprisingly I found a resistor that looked crooked and was actually loose, I replaced it with wires and an external 10K resistor and the car worked.

Then a day later I was trying to repair a loose 12 volt light connector. I stupidly took the single pin out to fix it, It was +12v and needed to test for the tightness and pushed it onto a pin on the controller as it was easy to get to, but I had the car on, I saw a spark and the controller also had a faint smell of burned electronics.

I was just wondering, what did I most likely short out? What would you check? All resistor values are check out correctly, board is getting power.

I marked the 12 volt input, and the pin I shorted with +12 volts. The board does get power and the input switch (throttle and reverse) pins have 3volts , which is the correct voltage before I shorted the board.

Just wondering what I probably burnt out here? Thanks for any advice into this.
You can click on the image to zoom into it much closer.

The green wires are my 10K ohm resistor fix, which worked so that is not the issue. The area I marked 12 volts, is power from the battery.

Below, the connectors with the X are actually not used.

Last edited:

CBTech_Joe

Joined Sep 9, 2020
If your voltages and resistance values all check out, have you tried to run the car? What happens when you put it back together and try it?

eddie500

Joined Nov 5, 2011
Unfortunately it doesn't work when I put everything back together. I'm not sure if the voltages check out, I just know that the switch that controls the car going backwards and forwards when you hit the pedal is 3 volts, and still is 3 volts. So some voltages still check out at least.

That short on that Pin must have fried something.