I seek advice in CAD Circuit Design

eCaleb

Joined Feb 11, 2022
Hello, I seek the advice of the experienced on this platform for the top list of circuit designing softwares that are worth considering to kickstart learning computer aided designs for electronic circuit...

Needful to note :
I'm doing this for two reasons one, just the zeal and simple need to know how to graphically represent hand drafted circuit and two, as a means of learning a digital skill in electronics, which would require me learning a number of other CAD programs to help attain a good level of mastery in circuit building and PCB design.

In addition to the queries above, How far can one go in circuit design ?

Delta Prime

Joined Nov 15, 2019
Electronic schematics is the language of electronics in general. They are difficult to read, they require a very high level of knowledge how each electronic component effects an electrical circuit analog or digital and in fact the combination of both. Just to play it safe I will now defer to my superiors they can explain it far better than I. :)

eCaleb

Joined Feb 11, 2022
Yeah,
Electronic schematics is the language of electronics in general. They are difficult to read, they require a very high level of knowledge how each electronic component effects an electrical circuit analog or digital and in fact the combination of both. Just to play it safe I will now defer to my superiors they can explain it far better than I. :)
yeah you're right delta prime, I understand how confusing circuit can get at the advance level .

Thanks for the contribution and you're humbleness .

eCaleb

Joined Feb 11, 2022
I suggest familiarizing yourself with a SPICE simulator, so you can explore all kinds of electronics in complete safety and at very low cost.

https://www.analog.com/en/design-center/design-tools-and-calculators/ltspice-simulator.html

How far can you go? You can be the CEO, chairman of the board, and major shareholder. Just like all those folks we'd like to be.
LT Spice, that's would be great, I've pretty familiar with it as part of circuit designing softwares but I'd never laid hands on it but I once get my hands busy with proteus which I like for it simplicity and simulator function.

I'd like to consider LT Spice since it also has simulations function amongst other of its functions I'm yet to know .

Thanks Papabravo and th.anks for sharing the link

eCaleb

Joined Feb 11, 2022
I suggest familiarizing yourself with a SPICE simulator, so you can explore all kinds of electronics in complete safety and at very low cost.

https://www.analog.com/en/design-center/design-tools-and-calculators/ltspice-simulator.html

How far can you go? You can be the CEO, chairman of the board, and major shareholder. Just like all those folks we'd like to be.
LT Spice I perceived that to be great. I'm pretty familiar with it as part of circuit designing softwares but I had never laid hands on it, I once get my hands busy with proteus which I like for it simplicity and simulator function.

I'd like to consider LT Spice as you've recommended since it also has simulations function amongst other functions I'm yet to discover.

I'd like to attain industry standard of mastery which is the reason I asked the additional question, thanks for the answers you gave on that.

Thanks Papabravo and thanks for sharing the link, I'm grateful.

Last edited:

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
I'd like to attain industry standard of mastery
You're not going to get that level of expertise from freeware. Large companies write their own simulators or they use industry standard software that costs hundreds of thousands of dollars.

At one time, the company I worked at developed their own schematic/layout editors, simulators, cell place and route, chip planning, design rule verification, reliability verification, and performance verification software - to name a few. They now buy more than they write, but circuit simulators are still developed internally because they're very closely tied to the manufacturing process.

eCaleb

Joined Feb 11, 2022
You're not going to get that level of expertise from freeware. Large companies write their own simulators or they use industry standard software that costs hundreds of thousands of dollars.

At one time, the company I worked at developed their own schematic/layout editors, simulators, cell place and route, chip planning, design rule verification, reliability verification, and performance verification software - to name a few. They now buy more than they write, but circuit simulators are still developed internally because they're very closely tied to the manufacturing process.
thanks for being frank.