I put Milwaukee Tool M18 Lithium batteries in my kid's Power Wheels Jeep - 65% increase in power!

havocware

Joined Aug 8, 2019
I'm an electrical and mechanical engineer who got tired of the lead acid in my daughter's Power Wheels Jeep crapping out after 30 minutes. So, I swapped it out for a few Milwaukee M18 Red Lithium batteries and a PWM DC speed controller.

I documented the build, have a look and let me know what you think!

Cheers!

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
The batteries and the controller are all fully fused, and the motors are rated as well. All in all, the unit was a hand-me-down, so if things go South, it was a nice project to spend some time on w/ her.
At least you were qualified to make the mod.

BTW. Welcome to AAC! Didn't notice this was your first post...

havocware

Joined Aug 8, 2019
It was for me.

The stock battery was near end-of-life. It takes 12+ hours to charge and wouldn't hold a charge for longer than 20-30 minutes. A new Power Wheels battery is anywhere from $75 -$100, whereas I already had several of the M18 units and chargers.

The M18 Red Lithium batteries have internal charge and usage circuitry, and typically fully charge in 60-90 minutes. Everything is fused and protected, and the PWM regulator allows you to tailor the speed to where you want it.