I need someone to design a simple PCB for me

Joe Black

Joined Jan 5, 2016
Ball park figure for the design and proto cost without all the certification will be mimimum150000 Euro.
User manual 3 weeks.
Description of the complete unit inclusive software 3 a 4 weeks.
Certification for medical usage will be above the 200000 euro
EMC and Ce at minimum 6000 euro.
Corrections 1 week.
I do agree with wayneh and the others; If no business plan( market) is justifying this project stay away don't burn your back site unless you have a unlimited source of money and like spending it.
Again do not see this as offending or pissing it off . I am 40 years designing measure and control equipment for government and major companies and I have being lucky that I was surrounded by good people with knowledge to advice and discuss the risks.
I can ensure that they saved our ass more than once.
Very good! I thought I was on a site that dealt in electronics, not business advice. And your estimates above are, as we say in the States, BS. I've done this before, I know the costs. You people are trying to give me advice on a project and you don't even know what it is. I just need to locate someone to help me, and I don't know whom to contact. Your testing estimates are close, but way higher than I get here. But the cost of the PC board is ridiculous. I bought a company that made an endoscopic camera. It had a simple PC board in it. I bought them for $25 each and the guy that designed it didn't pay anywhere near a $1,000 to have it designed and drawn. Yes, that was >10 years ago. He isn't around anymore, so I cannot follow that lead. Anyway, I'll continue my search. I have a friend that is teaching at Cambridge somewhere that is a PHD in computer engineering. I think I'll bug him for some ELECTRONIC advice. I imagine most any EE major at GA Tech could design and draw this for me. If I find them on YouTube as DYI projects from kids, I think it cam be done for a reasonable amount. Thanks for the words of wisdom.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
Personally, it's not the ease in designing the schematic and board. It's the identification of the product as a medical device. I am not prepared emotionally nor financially, if through misuse or misconfiguration, the board were to cause harm.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Personally it sounds simple and shouldn't be more than a few days of work..
I'm not interested though as there are big legal issues that I'm not prepared for..

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
You should be able to buy off the shelf boards for all you need, for a few hundred bucks.

All you need is a programmer.

Joe Black

Joined Jan 5, 2016
Personally, it's not the ease in designing the schematic and board. It's the identification of the product as a medical device. I am not prepared emotionally nor financially, if through misuse or misconfiguration, the board were to cause harm.
I understand that. Without spending a lot of time explaining why, the risks are very low, so low in fact, that I would accept responsibility for the design and take it as my own. I do want to be sure that it works and it would be tested in a lab before it received it's 510K from the FDA>

Joe Black

Joined Jan 5, 2016
You should be able to buy off the shelf boards for all you need, for a few hundred bucks.

All you need is a programmer.
I don't disagree, but could you point me to some places or people that I could contact? that would be very helpful.

Thanks, Joe

Joe Black

Joined Jan 5, 2016
I understand, completely, but without going into a lot of detail, the risk is very low due to the use of the device. So low, in fact, that I am willing to call the design my own and take responsibility for it. It will have to pass testing anyway to get the 510K approval from the FDA and CE, and more after that if we decide to get a TUV/UL certification.

Joe Black

Joined Jan 5, 2016
Personally it sounds simple and shouldn't be more than a few days of work..
I'm not interested though as there are big legal issues that I'm not prepared for..
As I said to "djsfantas," I understand, completely, but without going into a lot of detail, the risk is very low due to the use of the device. So low, in fact, that I am willing to call the design my own and take responsibility for it. It will have to pass testing anyway to get the 510K approval from the FDA and CE, and more after that if we decide to get a TUV/UL certification.

Joe Black

Joined Jan 5, 2016
Works great.

There's not more to it?

Dangit! If I only had more than 24 hrs in a day...:rolleyes:

No that's it. He even offered the code at one point, but lost it. I guess this just makes me feel it shouldn't be that big of a deal, if, and that's a big if, I can find the right place to get this done. A dollar to a donut, there is a shelf product board out there that can be programmed. I just don't know where to search and exactly what to ask for. Thanks, Joe

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I would state your goal on the embedded systems forum. These programmers have different processor preferences and motor control strategies. I would let each programmer pick his own hardware and get several designs.

Offer a proof of concept award. Ask 4 or 5 programmers to send their programmed boards and motors to show basic motor and display control. It might cost you a little, but you will find a programmer that you can trust and work with.

Then you can customize and add your features.

Hope this does not violate TOS.

Joe Black

Joined Jan 5, 2016
I would state your goal on the embedded systems forum. These programmers have different processor preferences and motor control strategies. I would let each programmer pick his own hardware and get several designs.

Offer a proof of concept award. Ask 4 or 5 programmers to send their programmed boards and motors to show basic motor and display control. It might cost you a little, but you will find a programmer that you can trust and work with.

Then you can customize and add your features.

Hope this does not violate TOS.

Thank you, but what does TOS stand for, "Terms of Service?" Not sure what you mean. Joe

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Yes....this is a learning site, above all. But there is so much talent here. I would have someone on this site do custom work for me.

Joe Black

Joined Jan 5, 2016
BR-549, I understand, and that's what I'm trying to do. I can use all of the help I can get using this site. I don't want to bother anyone, just get to the right place to start solving my task. I know there are a lot of different forums on this site and if I'm on the wrong one, please direct me.

Thank you, Joe

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
And, what makes yo think it's an IV pump?
I misunderstood whatever you meant in #14 by your IV comment

This will be a medical device and the Doc watched the IV bag more than the display. The display is more so they can set an approximate rate.
More importantly, I completely misjudged your capabilities. So many new posts here are noobs with grand plans that need a dose of reality, so forgive us for jumping to an assumption.

If there were many devices of this nature out there, I rather doubt I'd be trying to do this.
If you say so. I'd wager that every medical lab in this country already has a digital dispensing pump. I don't see how your's will be any different except maybe less features for lower price.

Why can't you use an Arduino? I mean, it's just a microprocessor. If it works, why not? Just because hobbyists like it shouldn't disqualify it. I guess you saw the link in the comments at YouTube?

Last edited:

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I'd ask the same question. Why can't you use an Arduino? There are different versions which address different problems.

Not enough memory or IO pins? Use a Mega. Want a sure connection? Don't solder in the headers; solder directly to your peripherals. For example, the Arduino Pro Mini comes with connections that are soldered instead of the headers...

Programming is easy; powering it is easy; interfacing IO is easy; support digital, analog or PWM connections out of the box. There is a large support community, many pre-built peripherals (shields) and many libraries that make tasks a piece of cake (try displaying on an LCD without a library; you can do it, but you might lose your hair).

Given your list of requirements, I strongly suspect that some type of microprocessor is in your future. If you aren't a programmer, Arduino code is simple to learn, but can perform complex tasks.

I use the Arduino for animatronics, with large sketches and many IO pins controlling servos, analyzing audio, playing mp3 files...

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
Ok, Joe, here's how to do it. Go over to Embedded Systems forum and title post "Peristaltic Pump Control." State who you are and what you need.

Your need is to control and display the dispense rate and dispense times of a peristaltic pump. 120 VAC always available.

For instance, dispense 20 ml every 15 minutes(or continuously). Or dispense 10 ml every time I step on a squeeze bulb. All rate and times need to be adjustable. Also a total of all dispenses. It would also be handy to have a usb data out, and thumb drive capabilities, although, not mandatory. Also state any confining conditions. What ranges of flow rate? A special pump head or motor required?
Waterproof or explosive proof required?

Tell them your not that familiar with electronics and would like recommendations on a microprocessor, display, hardware and control strategy, and motor for the pump control.

And being that you are not familiar, you will offer a proof of concept award for a certain number of successful submissions. The proof will be dispensing and displaying a predetermined amount of sample at a predetermined time. Accurately and consecutively.

You would be willing to reimburse for hardware(or return it), and award a set amount.

The word medical might worry some, but this is only a proof of concept, for hardware and processor comparisons. Very early in project and nothing is going to market.

It's actually just to see what is feasible.

Check with a mod first. This is very unfamiliar on this site for me.

Joe Black

Joined Jan 5, 2016
I misunderstood whatever you meant in #14 by your IV comment

More importantly, I completely misjudged your capabilities. So many new posts here are noobs with grand plans that need a dose of reality, so forgive us for jumping to an assumption.

If you say so. I'd wager that every medical lab in this country already has a digital dispensing pump. I don't see how your's will be any different except maybe less features for lower price.

Why can't you use an Arduino? I mean, it's just a microprocessor. If it works, why not? Just because hobbyists like it shouldn't disqualify it. I guess you saw the link in the comments at YouTube?

The difference is that if it's not FDA certified we cannot sell it and the Hospitals and clinics cannot use it. You are correct, if they could they would buy them from Cole Pamer not us, but they can't and won't. Some hospitals will not allow them into their place w/o UL listings. And, as I mentioned to someone earlier, I cannot afford to buy these Retail and resell them. I also, want to Brand these. I don't want to sell someone else's machine.

And, maybe I can use Arduino boards, I just felt like they wouldn't fit with those punch boards used for the connections. If I can make it work and fit it into my case, I may be able to use them. Something I need to look into for sure. But, I'd prefer a board that has the Connectors for the LCD display, the power, On/Off switch etc. I'll look into that as well.