I need some advice, newbie here.

msarian

Joined Sep 25, 2017
Hello,

I need to create a circuit that will make a small speaker go off when the power source (24 Watts Max) is disabled and then a battery takes over. Speaker needs to sound no more than 15 seconds.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012

msarian

Joined Sep 25, 2017
Basically, all I want to do is create a device that I can plug into a USB charger (PC or car) and when the power is on, the small speaker (audible device) remains off. When the power goes out, I want the speaker to sound.

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
12V Power source disable → 12V Battery on → 0.1uF/25V → npn inverter → 15S 555 monostable multivibrator → 2 Hz 555 astable multivibrator → 12V Buzzer

>USB charger
Is this needs to use a dc-dc (5V to 12V) converter?

msarian

Joined Sep 25, 2017
12V Power source disable → 12V Battery on → 0.1uF/25V → npn inverter → 15S 555 monostable multivibrator → 2 Hz 555 astable multivibrator → 12V Buzzer

>USB charger
Scott, i'm not sure if I need a converter. I do appreciate your response above, but I guess I have to understand how to tie it all together.
Like I said, I do not know much about electronics. I just have a great idea.

msarian

Joined Sep 25, 2017

>USB charger
What component would make the battery go on when the device receives no power from the source?

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
If the battery is 12V then you will need a 5V to 12V converter.

The circuit below shown the trigger function and alarm(1 Hz), you can adjust the frequency of alarm, please refer to the link, I changed the bjt to N MOSFET for the power consumption of battery and using the cmos 555.

You still need to decide how to active the battery, use plug or switch, or connected all the time but use some voltage detector to detect?

PowerOffAlarm15S_two555_ScottWang.gif
555 Monostable Circuit Calculator.
555 Astable Circuit Calculator.

msarian

Joined Sep 25, 2017
Scott,

Thats what I'm trying to figure. The battery needs to become the source of power when this prototype gets unplugged from the 12V or USB plug.

The power source can also be a USB port in a vehicle. I want to say the output on that is 24 Watts.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
when the power source (24 Watts Max) is disabled and then a battery takes over.
What is the battery voltage?
How does disabling the power source cause the battery to take over? Do you have a circuit for doing this automatically?
What is the battery powering?

msarian

Joined Sep 25, 2017
What is the battery voltage?
How does disabling the power source cause the battery to take over? Do you have a circuit for doing this automatically?
Hi Alec,

This device will be small. I imagine the battery will be a small lithium battery, maybe 3V.
I would like this device to be plugged into a USB port, either my PC/laptop or in the car.
When the device loses power, the battery needs to sound the mini speaker for 15 seconds and then shut off.
While there's power, the speaker needs to remain off.

msarian

Joined Sep 25, 2017
If the battery is 12V then you will need a 5V to 12V converter.

The circuit below shown the trigger function and alarm(1 Hz), you can adjust the frequency of alarm, please refer to the link, I changed the bjt to N MOSFET for the power consumption of battery and using the cmos 555.

You still need to decide how to active the battery, use plug or switch, or connected all the time but use some voltage detector to detect?

View attachment 135807
555 Monostable Circuit Calculator.
555 Astable Circuit Calculator.
It almost has to be like tamper switch. When it detect no power from the source, it must switch on VIA the battery.