I need assistance with prototype ebike

Bobert1850

Joined Apr 29, 2018
So im trying to build a electric vehical with salvaged/universal parts. I mostly want to build a quality kit similar to the ones sold from overseas for e-bikes. They charge $300+ for a cheap motor and controller. I want to use the dc motors from something like a treadmill and lithium battries. I currently have 2 motors to prototype with. They are rated for 90v dc and 1hp/1.5hp. Is there a way to skip the dc to a.c. inverter? It just seems like a waste going from 12vdc-120vac-90vdc and also what does that do for the amps? I'm a mechanic and my electrical skills need improving

-live wire-

Joined Dec 22, 2017
So im trying to build a electric vehical with salvaged/universal parts. I mostly want to build a quality kit similar to the ones sold from overseas for e-bikes. They charge $300+ for a cheap motor and controller. I want to use the dc motors from something like a treadmill and lithium battries. I currently have 2 motors to prototype with. They are rated for 90v dc and 1hp/1.5hp. Is there a way to skip the dc to a.c. inverter? It just seems like a waste going from 12vdc-120vac-90vdc and also what does that do for the amps? I'm a mechanic and my electrical skills need improving
This sounds like an interesting project. So yes, you can use a DC-DC boost converter. You can buy a boost converter on amazon for $30-40, or possible make one for a less and with more customization. But a word of caution. SMPS design looks easy but is very complicated! And it would probably have much worse regulation and efficiency. I don't mean to discourage you but it is not an easy task if you need high performance with those amounts of power. So here is a good one on amazon. It should suit your needs.
https://www.amazon.com/Converter-DR...rd_wg=ISXNn&psc=1&refRID=MY6T2D4PTZGB28VF9PM5

Also, here are some videos on the subject that may be helpful.

Best,
-live wire-

Bobert1850

Joined Apr 29, 2018
Thanks for the reply. I don' need alot of performance from it as my goal is 15mph as a top speed. I have noticed since my first post a flaw in this design. The seeps controllr I have i think needs the 110ac input to work. It is a Samsung mc-20. There is very little info if found on it but I like it bc it' small and has a resistance style control. As for the batteries, there is alot of info on youtube that I have studied and for simplicity I think I'm going to use ether 12 or 24v so I can also use lead acid if I have to for testing until I assemble a batery pack.