I need an interface board between breakout board and dc motor

chuckeroocharles

Joined Jan 18, 2016
What i am trying to accomplish is driving a dc motor with outputs from a cnc breakout board that will be used for an automated sander.
First step zero axis's.
Second step Y- moves in y+ direction z is up at this point.
Third step z descends to work surface.
Fourth step Y axis starts moving in y- direction , sanding occurs at this point.Yea the wood dust is flying!!!
Fifth step back to first step.
Yea just back and forth and up and down with pauses in the y axis movement at the end of each y- and y+ , this gives the z axis time to go up or down as needed.
The software driving the breakout board is Mach 3, the breakout board is a cheapy 5 axis break out board purchased through (Stepperonline.)
The dc motor i'm using is a Dayton Geared dc motor Part #8HK98, develops lot's of torque,the reason i would like to stay with using this motor.came off of original conveyor belt used to move the wood under the sanding drum.
Keep mind that the breakout board switch's only 0 and 5 volt values.
Of course i will use the the y- and the y+ to forward and reverse the motor using a 2 relay module made for arduino and pic applications, as well as dedicated relays for forward and reverse movement of y axis. NO problem there.
I think i will have to use a relay to start and stop y movement while the z axis is moving up or down?
Keep in mind i do have the unused x axis which i can use for signal manipulation if needed.
Thanks for any help on this matter
Oh and by the way i'd like to say HI my name is Charlie.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Sounds like you are mixing CNC position control, with point to point control, if Mach3 then what do you have missing?
You don't use a relay for controlling a motor if CNC! Especially with Mach, as there is no feedback to the PC so mach doesn't know what you are doing outboard.
Is this a complete conversion to CNC?
Is the breakout board for the Dayton motor? If so what drive do you intend using as Mach uses step/dir.
Max.

chuckeroocharles

Joined Jan 18, 2016
Sounds like you are mixing CNC position control, with point to point control, if Mach3 then what do you have missing?
You don't use a relay for controlling a motor if CNC! Especially with Mach, as there is no feedback to the PC so mach doesn't know what you are doing outboard.
Is this a complete conversion to CNC?
Is the breakout board for the Dayton motor? If so what drive do you intend using as Mach uses step/dir.
Max.
Max Headroom i really did like watching that wonder if it's on netflix?
Back to the task at hand , so i would like to use the dc motor on the y axis, gotta keep this thing low budget as acuracy is just not that crucial.
I've read where a servo controller may do the trick?
If i'm reading it right 90 volts dc and .42 amps are the reqiurements of the motor?
Is there anybody that you know of that supplies a driver for this application?
As far as the encoder i would like to mount this on a 5/16 shaft, can you recommend a source for this item?
Any help on this would be highly appreciated.Thanks
As you can tell i know nothing about servo control.
In a kit would be great, and keep in mind that this will be used with mach 3.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
What I was getting at, do you need CNC? If this is simple repetitive point to point positioning etc, it maybe could be done with L.S.'s etc
If using mach you need step/dir drivers, if point to point there are drives from KB SCR/PWM drives to servo type controllers on ebay such as Advanced Motion and others with ±10vdc input.
A little more info on the machine and more on the requirements would be useful.
Max.

chuckeroocharles

Joined Jan 18, 2016
What I was getting at, do you need CNC? If this is simple repetitive point to point positioning etc, it maybe could be done with L.S.'s etc
If using mach you need step/dir drivers, if point to point there are drives from KB SCR/PWM drives to servo type controllers on ebay such as Advanced Motion and others with ±10vdc input.
A little more info on the machine and more on the requirements would be useful.
Max.
Yes just a repetative motion, y+ to Y- but there is a slight hesitation while the z goes up or dowm while at the limits.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The crux is, is there ANY of the axis that require either interpolated motion, or at least a programmed or automatic rate of movement that cannot be manually set, if it is a case of the Y axis and you require the Z to be at certain positions in order to move, this can be controlled by simple relay logic, PLC or similar means.
In this case you would not need a PC.
Is this an existing working M/C ? If so how is it controlled now?
Max.

chuckeroocharles

Joined Jan 18, 2016
The crux is, is there ANY of the axis that require either interpolated motion, or at least a programmed or automatic rate of movement that cannot be manually set, if it is a case of the Y axis and you require the Z to be at certain positions in order to move, this can be controlled by simple relay logic, PLC or similar means.
In this case you would not need a PC.
Is this an existing working M/C ? If so how is it controlled now?
Max.
I have decided to use a couple of stepper motors instead of the dc motor.Nice simple easy.thank you for your help and patience.have a good day.