I need a 6/12v switchable Lead acid Charger 20amps

Khaleef

Joined Mar 22, 2017
20Adc would require a large and expensive transformer rated for about 20V, 40Arms, along with some high power circuitry.
Price such a transformer and get back with us, if you still want to do that.

Why do you want to charge the battery so rapidly?
Hello, I found a very old heavy 5000va Stabilizer at my dad's place and it was all rusty and the coverings are falling apart. I looked inwards and found a massive Transformer inside. This Transformer is really big and heavy. I can't tell what the rating is but it's twice the size of the one in my 8amps charger.

Attachments

Khaleef

Joined Mar 22, 2017
Hello everyone, so after a long while i opened this thread, I found an old Charger rated 20amps but the 12v output reads 10.4v, i looked inside and it seems its a Diode charger. It consist only a big transformer and a Diode screwed to a heat sink then to some switches and analog voltmeter and ammeter.

Can i make a better charger with the transformer? Thanks.

(Attached are the pictures of the charger and components inside)

Attachments

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
It probably is ok. Just unfiltered, so your meter may not read higher. See how the battery volts and amps read with the charger on the battery. But it could be faulty. Running half wave with a crook bridge.
Have a go at tracing the circuit.

Khaleef

Joined Mar 22, 2017
It probably is ok. Just unfiltered, so your meter may not read higher. See how the battery volts and amps read with the charger on the battery. But it could be faulty. Running half wave with a crook bridge.
Have a go at tracing the circuit.
Thanks... I tried putting the charger on my 12v battery which was at 12.5v with a voltmeter, and for like one hour plus.. the volt meter was shuffling between 12.5v and 12.6v. Then i just assumed the charger isn't good so it doesnt ruin my battery.

I should trace the circuit of the charger you mean?

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
The voltage fluctuation could be caused by your mains supply voltage varying. Monitor the mains voltage at the same time as monitoring the battery voltage. (Or charging current.) I am assuming the charger is just a simple transformer and rectifier with no voltage control circuit.

Les.

Khaleef

Joined Mar 22, 2017
The voltage fluctuation could be caused by your mains supply voltage varying. Monitor the mains voltage at the same time as monitoring the battery voltage. (Or charging current.) I am assuming the charger is just a simple transformer and rectifier with no voltage control circuit.

Les.
Thanks Les. Would do that.

Is there a circuit that can be added in-between to make it current limiting for safe charging?

dendad

Joined Feb 20, 2016
It had a circuit breaker in it but that has been disconnected. Probably broken too.
The first thing to do is to rewire the charger. Mount the rectifier heat sink and generally clean it up.

Khaleef

Joined Mar 22, 2017
It had a circuit breaker in it but that has been disconnected. Probably broken too.
The first thing to do is to rewire the charger. Mount the rectifier heat sink and generally clean it up.
Okay. In place of the Analog Voltmeter and Ammeter, I can replace with a Digital Voltmeter/AmpMeter ?

Khaleef

Joined Mar 22, 2017
Good day guys.... I used the charger on a generator, the transformer makes this buzzling sound and using a clamp meter on the positive line, it gives 6 - 8amps.

Last edited: