I have a Dayton motor ac/dc series. model 2m172, need diagram for wiring.

artyrex

Joined Nov 5, 2023
I have a Dayton motor ac/dc series. model 2m172. 1/15 hp 5000 rpm, 115v ac/dc 25-60 Hz. It's revisable with 4 wires red, blue, black, yellow. If anyone can provide a wire sch it would be a big help. Thanks very much. art

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
The Dayton 2M range include Universal motors, which would make sense,
Test the resistance and identify if there are two windings, if so it is most likely the field and the armature of a Universal motor.
Which would mean that the two pairs would be in series, and reversing one pair will reverse the motor.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Motors usually have a name plate with information on it. Even some appliance motors. But as it is a Dayton motor it really should have a name plate telling us at least the volts and the amps. Often there is at least some other information.
Now for a question to the TS: Do you have a meter that can measure resistance? Either a VOM (Volts Ohms Meter)or a DMM, (Digital Multi Meter)??? Given that if it is an AC/DC motor it must be a universal type that has brushes and a commutator.
When we have the resistance measurement information along with the wire colors it will be simple to correctly provide the correct connection information. Until then there are only guesses.
AND I see that the TS did not even mention the motor voltage, which matters a bit.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Motors usually have a name plate with information on it. Even some appliance motors. But as it is a Dayton motor it really should have a name plate telling us at least the volts and the amps. Often there is at least some other information.
Now for a question to the TS: Do you have a meter that can measure resistance? Either a VOM (Volts Ohms Meter)or a DMM, (Digital Multi Meter)??? Given that if it is an AC/DC motor it must be a universal type that has brushes and a commutator.
When we have the resistance measurement information along with the wire colors it will be simple to correctly provide the correct connection information. Until then there are only guesses.
AND I see that the TS did not even mention the motor voltage, which matters a bit.
He stated AC/DC 115v which puts it in the Universal category !
Reversible type, hence the four leads.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
He stated AC/DC 115v which puts it in the Universal category !
Reversible type, hence the four leads.
OK, then the TS still needs to identify the two circuits, field and armature, as to colors of each. That is most simply done by measuring resistance. As I already suggested. The alternatives might be visiting the Dayton website or finding a copy of the Dayton color code .

ThePanMan

Joined Mar 13, 2020
the TS still needs to identify the two circuits, field and armature, as to colors of each.
Why? If they're in series then the motor will spin. If you swap two wires, be it stator or rotor the motor will spin in the other direction.
1699300280784.png
If the TS puts the rotor together or the stator windings together then nothing will happen. But it's kind of hard to get wrong.

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Why? If they're in series then the motor will spin. If you swap two wires, be it stator or rotor the motor will spin in the other direction.
If the TS puts the rotor together or the stator windings together then nothing will happen. But it's kind of hard to get wrong.
" then nothing will happen"... Oh yes it will ! It will be a very low resistance shunt wound motor and will run but overheat (fry) drastically on 120v or 240v

vu2nan

Joined Sep 11, 2014
The wire colour code has been obtained from the name plate of a similar Dayton motor.

Noname.jpg

The armature leads are black and blue and the field red and yellow.

The black and blue leads are to be interchanged to reverse the direction of rotation of the motor.

1.png

Nandu.

Last edited:

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Certainly that is correct!! But that is only two of the possible combinations.
I suggested not doing a random connection because there are two possibilities that would probably cause damage by burning up the armature.