I hate USB, bad quality

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Theres only issues with USB

At least 50 yokes around of which some work sometimes

On the PC always disconnect connect again and again especially PICKIT3 sometimes I could not use it for hours
Then drivers install again and again search Windows update (then fails + device doesnt need a driver)

Now the latest issue is with using a mouse via micro USB on Android tablet
Always have to push the plug quite a hassle when taking photos otherwise the mouse disconnects.
On top of that ater doing that a couple of time it doesnt respond at all anymore, needs a reboot

Why is USB so bad? Yokes typically last a few months.

Sometimes they seem to become semiconducting if I tap the floor slightly the vibration alarm goes off (disconnect reconnect while charging).

Theres millions sold but they dont seem to recognize the issues or dont care, doesnt matter if China or branded, pretty much all the same bad quality

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
Android is as such I need to reboot several times and reconnect the mouse pretty much for each new picture + pushdown the plug as well

Waiting for wifi mouse to arrive

The touchscreen broke

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
USB is very much better than in the early days when manufacturers were shipping products that could not be thoroughly tested against the products of other manufacturers. Once the "plug tests" got started things started to clear up, but my gosh what a mess in the early days. The last 20 years has seen a lot of progress.

Picbuster

Joined Dec 2, 2013
Theres only issues with USB

At least 50 yokes around of which some work sometimes

On the PC always disconnect connect again and again especially PICKIT3 sometimes I could not use it for hours
Then drivers install again and again search Windows update (then fails + device doesnt need a driver)

Now the latest issue is with using a mouse via micro USB on Android tablet
Always have to push the plug quite a hassle when taking photos otherwise the mouse disconnects.
On top of that ater doing that a couple of time it doesnt respond at all anymore, needs a reboot

Why is USB so bad? Yokes typically last a few months.

Sometimes they seem to become semiconducting if I tap the floor slightly the vibration alarm goes off (disconnect reconnect while charging).

Theres millions sold but they dont seem to recognize the issues or dont care, doesnt matter if China or branded, pretty much all the same bad quality
Did you disable the USB power off functions?
Use always the driver from the usb chip builder ( never use the WIndows usb driver !!)
The USB output current is limited to 100 -200mA depending on system used.
The problems you mentioned never occurred in my lab (using Linux mint 17.x/18.x , windows xp or win 7)
But I always powered my hardware separately from USB power while programming.

Picbuster

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
You hate the bad drivers, buggy OS features and cheaply constructed parts. Windows has known issues with USB related to the Selective Suspend feature.
https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledg...ade-system-to-windows-10-usb-ports-dont-work/
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us...rking-after-you-remove-or-insert-a-usb-device

I've had high quality USB devices connected to Linux servers for years that just work.
Pretty interesting stuff, Nsa ... I've had my share of USB headaches and your articles threw some light as for their causes ... thanks for sharing!