I dont know what it is called but i am sure they make it. a thermostat controlled fan speed control

born2dive00

Joined Oct 24, 2016
Ok I have know idea what it is called or where to get one I will try my best to explain

I have an 110v AC Fan that I need to control the fan speed based on the temperature of the air moving over a temperature probe. The hotter the probe is a set temperature, the faster the fan blows to cool the load, the colder it is the slower it blows. There is no way to regulate the temperature of the load with out this.

Again the FAN IS ON 110V AC and the fan can not be changed out.

I am looking for something cheap, that I can purchase or even build.

Please let me know.

born2dive00

Joined Oct 24, 2016
No, neither one will work as you have to manually adjust the fan speed I need it to be automatic

something like this but for AC
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12V-PC-CPU...550752?hash=item213b399720:g:WccAAOSwgv5ZeyGs

Here is a guy who did what I need to do, but the problem is the fan is DC I need AC,

I think this provides the function, though it's not inexpensive at $146USD:

https://www.farmtek.com/farm/supplies/prod1;ft_cooling_fans-ft_fan_accessories;pgcr2150_CR2156.html

Here's another option, or at least this will help with search terms:

https://www.amazon.com/Titan-Contro...1-3&keywords=temperature+fan+speed+controller

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
That won't work either as it is PWM out put.
Do you already have the probe?
If so what are the characteristics?
You may be able to integrate it into a 555 controller as in Fairchild AN-3006
Max.

born2dive00

Joined Oct 24, 2016
Hello max
Nope I don't have the probe yet, I am starting this from scratch.

That won't work either as it is PWM out put.
Do you already have the probe?
If so what are the characteristics?
You may be able to integrate it into a 555 controller as in Fairchild AN-3006
Max.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
You can play around with and try a circuit like this one. Temperature controlled fan regulator Things like this generally go much easier with DC fans where PWM is easily used. The concept is actually pretty simple if you look at a circuit for a cheap off the shelf manual controller and remove the pot and insert the two thermistors (R1 and R2). The range can likely be tweaked by adding a pot. Anyway for a cheap solution it may be worth a try. You may want to first run the fan off a basic triac dimmer just to make sure the motor works OK using a triac to drive it.

Ron

born2dive00

Joined Oct 24, 2016
In my brain, I was thinking of using what you have said, with this.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-110-220...516224&hash=item1c6c0d2b1a:g:MjsAAOSwZ1BXeNBv

I was thinking of using this temp probe
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Eliwell-NT...hash=item33d19a9788:m:m50WkjmVugSW1jhCXlqeu4w

Do you think this would work?

Isnt a 3 wire temp probe already a ptc/ntc?

You can play around with and try a circuit like this one. Temperature controlled fan regulator Things like this generally go much easier with DC fans where PWM is easily used. The concept is actually pretty simple if you look at a circuit for a cheap off the shelf manual controller and remove the pot and insert the two thermistors (R1 and R2). The range can likely be tweaked by adding a pot. Anyway for a cheap solution it may be worth a try. You may want to first run the fan off a basic triac dimmer just to make sure the motor works OK using a triac to drive it.

Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Considering the cost I would try it. Replace the pot with the temp sensor and yes, reading the link it looks to be a PTC / NTC probe. They don't give the specs and finding a data sheet on the stuff from China is good luck or the luck of the draw but again considering the price there isn't much to lose. The merit, if it works is an off the shelf inexpensive solution.

Ron

born2dive00

Joined Oct 24, 2016
Reloadron, I am looking at making a PTC /NTC probe as I think it might be cheaper just to get the sensors rather than the probes...

What size/rating PTC thermistor and what NTC Thermistor would I need to replace the pot? The pot looks like it is a B500K please see attached photo. there is also a photo showing the traces. Judging from the traces, it looks like the pot is a simple voltage divider correct?

So how would I wire up the PTC and NTC probes together?

Now this module can be used with 110v-220v in and 0-220v out. I need both voltages as the fan I am using is both 110 and 230 compatible depending on the configuration of the coils. ( I live internationally, and come across both 110 and 220v depending on the country I am working in)

The target temp of the fan is at 120 degrees F normal atmospheric pressures.
Please advise.
Thank you
Brad

Considering the cost I would try it. Replace the pot with the temp sensor and yes, reading the link it looks to be a PTC / NTC probe. They don't give the specs and finding a data sheet on the stuff from China is good luck or the luck of the draw but again considering the price there isn't much to lose. The merit, if it works is an off the shelf inexpensive solution.

Ron

Attachments

born2dive00

Joined Oct 24, 2016
Would I be correct in assuming if I am replacing a b500k pot with thermistors, I would need a 500k PTC thermistor, and a 25k NTC thermistor?

I have found the 500k PTC, but can only find a 20k NTC thermistor on e bay.
Please let me know if this would work, or what I should use.

Ron

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Back in Post #8 I gave you a link for making a simple probe. They use a NTC 100K and a PTC 5K thermistor. Both are common thermistors and the links are just an example. You could likely buy an inexpensive dimmer from any home improvement store, hack it by removing the existing pot and replace it with a home brew thermistor probe configured like in the link from post #8. Most 240 Volt triac dimmers also work on 120 VAC. I would try that before trying anything else. You may have to try a few different thermistor combinations but I would start with those listed.

Ron