i dont have a 9 pin connector in my pc for pic programming

leonheard

Joined Jan 8, 2013
hi!

i have a pic 16f84 microcontroller, and i need to make a circuit ( programmer ) to connect it to the pc... but i dont have a 9 pin connector female o male in my pc! i dont even have a printer pins.... what can i do?

can i use the ps/2 mouse, keyoboard connector for programming? ( i can solder and stuff.. )

will this simple circuit work? for me?

http://sfprime.net/pic16f84/index.htm

or if u have better give me link please :)

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012
I still cannot figure out why people insist on using those garbage third party programmers when the ones from Microchip are so cheap and have many more capabilities.
In my defense, I got it to program parallel EEPROMs, then discovered it could program PICs...:)

leonheard

Joined Jan 8, 2013
okei, thanks for the info :D hmm but why is that circuit carbage?

i thought that it only had to send information to the pic microcontroller from the pc. not playing with it xD

tshuck

Joined Oct 18, 2012

i thought that it only had to send information to the pic microcontroller from the pc. not playing with it xD
It's because it can only program, what 4?, PICs, where the Pickit 3 can program all of them... there are a LOT!

Your money is better spent on a device that can program the devices you will probably be moving toward anyway...

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

Don't know why they are carbage but it is garbage because it does not program all of the chips but more important, it could be full of flaws. Either in the original design or something you did during building.

It might work one time but not another. The PicKits have been around for years. This is no guarantee you won't have problems with every single chip but if you do, you know you can get support from Microchip. Try that with your home built programmer.

Also most of those programmers just program and not debug. The Pickits can do in circuit debugging, a huge benefit.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
hi!

i have a pic 16f84 microcontroller, and i need to make a circuit ( programmer ) to connect it to the pc... but i dont have a 9 pin connector female o male in my pc! i dont even have a printer pins.... what can i do?

can i use the ps/2 mouse, keyoboard connector for programming? ( i can solder and stuff.. )

will this simple circuit work? for me?

http://sfprime.net/pic16f84/index.htm

or if u have better give me link please :)
If that is what you have and your funds are limited you can get a USB to serial converter... they sometimes work <grin> depending on your OS.

takao21203

Joined Apr 28, 2012
I am too lazy and too tired to give the schematic, anyway, I don't have the URL. It is a website from Argentinia.

I modified it a bit.

The 12V programming voltage is generated from batteries!

You only need 1mA.

I must say I never use it, but it works for some 16F PICs.

Attachments