I do not think this guy saw the atoms

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
I would say that's more like a picture of the shadow of the atoms than a picture of the atoms themselves.
But it's still a pretty amazing picture done with a do-it-yourself device.

BR-549

Joined Sep 22, 2013
I would be wary of this conclusion. What is repeatedly done here? We apply a voltage to a conductor......then measure the voltage right before conduction. Sequentially. Are we measuring free charge over and over?

Is that scanned image pattern a true representation of the surface.........or the result of the measuring method? A measurement pattern?

Those dots represent voltage levels. Are the dots really all there like that at the same time?

Or only during measurement.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I would be wary of this conclusion. What is repeatedly done here? We apply a voltage to a conductor......then measure the voltage right before conduction. Sequentially. Are we measuring free charge over and over?

Is that scanned image pattern a true representation of the surface.........or the result of the measuring method? A measurement pattern?

Those dots represent voltage levels. Are the dots really all there like that at the same time?

Or only during measurement.
Something is there (atomic structure) for sure but the 'dots' are much like the flux lines we draw and calculate for EM forces interacting. Measurement requires energy so when we 'look' at something and 'see', it's because the energy state is changing by transformation. What we see is part measurement pattern (artifact of measure) and part true representation. Better instruments usually reduce measurement artifacts.

Motanache

Joined Mar 2, 2015
That the atoms to stay so nicely arranged should be crystal.

Then this crystal seems to be perfectly cut after one of the crystalline planes.
Not even an atom is above this plane - which seems hard to believe.