i do not know from where to start

walidantar

Joined Dec 21, 2019
what is the best thing or board to start with learning about embedded and interfaces, is it mandatory to learn circuits first?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Welcome to AAC!
You'd need at least a rudimentary knowledge of electronics/circuits in order to be able to control anything or process signals from anything.

KeithWalker

Joined Jul 10, 2017
I would recommend Arduino for a beginner. There are many online examples and tutorials for it .If you don't understand the basics of electronics, you will only be copying what other people have already done. You will not be able to create your own projects or solve the problems involved.
Regards,
Keith

bignobody

Joined Jan 21, 2020
If you don't understand the basics of electronics, you will only be copying what other people have already done. You will not be able to create your own projects or solve the problems involved.
Exactly this. I've been programming most of my life, so am not intimidated by the idea of programming micro-controllers. It's just writing another program to me.

But I have only been playing with electronics seriously for a few months and will continue with the basic circuit building until it starts becoming intuitive. It's hard to write your novel if you don't know the alphabet.

I know it's exciting to see the amazing things makers are doing, but I promise you there is still fun to be had learning the basics!

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
what is the best thing or board to start with learning about embedded and interfaces, is it mandatory to learn circuits first?
We can give you better advice if you can tell us, in detail, what you already know and what sort of embedded system design you plan on doing.

For sure, a good working knowledge of circuit design, both analog and digital, is needed if you intend to do more than copying designs that others have created.

BobaMosfet

Joined Jul 1, 2009
Exactly this. I've been programming most of my life, so am not intimidated by the idea of programming micro-controllers. It's just writing another program to me.

But I have only been playing with electronics seriously for a few months and will continue with the basic circuit building until it starts becoming intuitive. It's hard to write your novel if you don't know the alphabet.

I know it's exciting to see the amazing things makers are doing, but I promise you there is still fun to be had learning the basics!
Title: Understanding Basic Electronics, 1st Ed.
Publisher: The American Radio Relay League
ISBN: 0-87259-398-3

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
what is the best thing or board to start with learning about embedded and interfaces,
If you don't know Linux, I'd start with something like Arduino. There are libraries to do the hard part for most things whether it be blinking LEDs or making sounds. Otherwise, I'd start with a Raspberry Pi because you'll have a richer set of capabilities (memory, storage (FLASH), WiFi, Bluetooth).

If you wanted to make a clock, RPi makes it easy to make it self setting (if you have WiFi capability).

Arduino has analog inputs built in, whereas RPi doesn't.

In terms of interfacing to electronics, I find Arduino to be more convenient than RPi. Arduino outputs can source 20mA. RPi's are whimpy by comparison and are 3.3V and not 5V tolerant.
is it mandatory to learn circuits first?
It would be mandatory to learn how to program first.

walidantar

Joined Dec 21, 2019
i only have things i bought when i was at the university, my major was computer sciences, i had two courses in logic design but i almost forgot everything in that subject, still have a microcontroller (microchip pic16F874A-17P) and a breadboard and a 40w solder-iron .. for interest, i search alot on the web on components and evaluation boards and kits, i have about $400 in paypal and want to get in the real/practical things, my direction is to be able to make in the future even after years a keyboard synthesizer that is basicly a midi controller powered by a recharchable battery and is rechrchable over usb .. i loked the usb-c charecteristics .. and want it to have a virtual synth module .. for this i tried to buy from ST stm32h745i-disco buy i couldn't get it from any site that accepts paypal because i can't issue a creadit card or prepaid one so some sellers have restrictions about accouts that doesn't have a credit card linked to it .. i could purchase it from aliexpress but i cancled the order as it's 1.5x its price and didn't feel safe with the seller .. arrow.com i can buy from them but they have to get it from the manufacturer and the estimate lead time is about 6.5 monthes and tried with ebay i could purchase it but the seller canled it because they don;t want to ship to a forward address in the usa .. after that i found that maybe it's to hard for me to start with it , i looked at it as a pre-built circuit ready for programming .. for this i want to start with a right path maybe an arduino or stm32 nucleo-L476re .. i have just general idea about components and interfaces .. i want to develop myself in such thing i do love .. i want to buy later from analog devices the sharc sound module it's coming back to the market in- march after about 6 weeks and they are offering a free copy of their ide .. i want to begin with something easier so i can get in that thing and work with it .. i'm concentrating on programming with real time os i want to avoid linux embedded operating systems, i don't want a minimized pc

in breif i want to prepare myself to be able to program the ADZS-SC589-MINI from analog devices even after one or two years .. i know it will not happen within just months .. for this i got confused from where to start .. but from your respectful posts i understand that to start with arduino s it's well supported for newbies

here's a link to the thing i dream i make something close to it >> this sketch i had did it from the very scratch

<iframe src="https://3dwarehouse.sketchup.com/embed/eae4cd32-750d-4fd4-8aef-404bde3506c5" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" width="580" height="326" allowfullscreen></iframe>

walidantar

Joined Dec 21, 2019
please, a little help, i am collecting components .. i want to get some pin headers, i want to know if these are ok .. , (2.54 mm Pitch, Vertical, 8.08 mm (0.318in) Mating, 3.81 mm (0.15in) Tail) for bread board and arduino header

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
i want to get some pin headers, i want to know if these are ok .. , (2.54 mm Pitch, Vertical, 8.08 mm (0.318in) Mating, 3.81 mm (0.15in) Tail) for bread board and arduino header
For connections, you want jumpers, not headers. For connections between an Arduino and breadboard, these are convenient:
1580660518929.png

For connections on the breadboard, use 22 AWG solid wire.

walidantar

Joined Dec 21, 2019
i've ordered a set of these before a while and 16x2 oled lcd, and some other things .. i'll start learning the basics from the very zero

walidantar

Joined Dec 21, 2019
i've got these, from analog devices: adalm1000, adalm-buck-ardz, adalp2000/kit
& from st: nucleo-L476rg

from vishay: OLED-016N002A-RPP5N00000 multi-colour 16x2 oled got it for $2.7, & a graphic OLED-100H016B-LPP5N00000 multi-colour 100x16 for $5.3, & OLED-256Y064B-LPP3N00000 yellow 265x64 (but very thin & small) for $5.9 ..
i mentioned the prices for anyone who would need, those are at reduced prices and are cheaper than many generic displays .. arrow do over package their shipments but i was lucky the shipment was at the checkout offered for free .. otherwise the size of the package would count a lot more that the mass (it's real weight, the displays where packaged in boxes some how as-if it were Jewry

the nucleo can be used with the arduino ide but i'm fine with the stm32cubeIDE, leave every thing to it's defaults and it's ready to go, there is no complication or necessary/mandatory configurations as it would appear
IMG_0787.JPG
IMG_0797.JPG

Attachments