I am trying to make or find is a 12 volt sequencial 10 led driver.

Rob Knight

Joined Sep 22, 2018
So I am new to this forum, and a little new to electronics. What I am trying to make or find is a 12 volt sequencial led driver that can drive at the most 10 LED's. I'm having a hard time finding one that states 12 volts most are 9 volts. I will be running it on a vehicle. Trying to keep the cost of it down as much as possible. If I have to get it in pieces that is ok. If anyone can help I would gladly appreciate it.
Thanks
Super noob
Rob

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Can you expand on "Sequential" a bit more, do you want to make a multi led chaser, flasher, single led chaser,.?

Try the Cd4017 chip.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
The circuit is bad even with a 9V supply because with a single current-limiting resistor R3 the LEDs that are turned off get reverse voltage much higher than their maximum allowed 5V. Each LED should have its own current-limiting resistor that are about 360 ohms for 3.2V blue or white LEDs. Use 560 ohms for 2V red LEDs.

The Texas Instruments datasheet for the CD4017 shows that its typical output current with a 14V supply is 26mA which will destroy it because each output transistor overheats over 100mW.

Attachments

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Use the same circuit but instead of LEDs connect the outputs to the base of ten MPSA13 transistors, and then use the collectors to pull down your load devices. That will allow up to at least 100Ma for each one light. The circuit as shown, or very similar, is shown in the "freeinformationsociety" website, along with a few thousands of other circuits.

Rob Knight

Joined Sep 22, 2018
Can you expand on "Sequential" a bit more, do you want to make a multi led chaser, flasher, single led chaser,.?

Try the Cd4017 chip.
So basically I want to make 10 led light light up one at a time until they all light up then do it over again. I have seen pre made boards for 30+ but I think they can be made cheaper.

Rob Knight

Joined Sep 22, 2018
Welcome to AAC!

Here's one from @Wendy

https://forum.allaboutcircuits.com/...r-basic-10-led-sequencer-at-it-simplest.1850/

You need to add circuitry to protect from voltage variations in an auto.

If you need more current than the few mA a CD4017 can source, you can add transistors to drive the LEDs low side. Or you could use ULN200x darlingtons for ease of wiring.
I'm so sorry but what you guys are explaining is way over my head. Maybe I should have done more research, I just don't know where to start. I really thank you all for your help I uploaded a pic of what I think will work but I really don't know. Please help me,and again thank you all!!!!!

Attachments

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
So basically I want to make 10 led light light up one at a time until they all light up then do it over again.
Why didn't you say that in the first post? Something like this gets you most of the way there.
upload_2018-9-22_11-29-15.png
If you need more current than the shift registers can provide, you can add PNP transistors or P channel MOSFETs to drive the LEDs high side.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
I'm so sorry but what you guys are explaining is way over my head. Maybe I should have done more research, I just don't know where to start. I really thank you all for your help I uploaded a pic of what I think will work but I really don't know. Please help me,and again thank you all!!!!!
I think you're better using the Lm3914 in bar mode, and a 555 ramp generator,

Knight-3a.png

If you're not proficient in Electronics circuits, then you're better off buying a ready made one.

Last edited:

Rob Knight

Joined Sep 22, 2018
This is for one led at a time, it uses the Cd4017 and 555 chips,.

View attachment 160343

If you're not proficient in Electronics circuits, then you're better off buying a ready made one.
But will that ready made one I have chosen be one that would work for me? I'm so sorry to be a really big newbie. But if that is the one I can use I can copy it for the most part and make my own. I have tried to look for videos on how to make them but none of the videos explain if I can use 12 vdc and what components are used.
Thank you
Rob

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
none of the videos explain if I can use 12 vdc
That information is in the datasheets.

All of the circuits you've been given will operate from 12V; because that's what you asked for. You just need to make sure you protect the circuit from voltage spikes that can occur in automotive power.
and what components are used.
Look for better videos...

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
But will that ready made one I have chosen be one that would work for me? I'm so sorry to be a really big newbie. But if that is the one I can use I can copy it for the most part and make my own. I have tried to look for videos on how to make them but none of the videos explain if I can use 12 vdc and what components are used.
Thank you
Rob
The one you chose is no good, it's for a Single led chaser . You need a Knight Rider chaser

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
So basically I want to make 10 led light light up one at a time until they all light up then do it over again. I have seen pre made boards for 30+ but I think they can be made cheaper.
Right, do you want one single led to be on moving from left to right on it's own, then repeating....?

OR do you want the first led to be on, then the next led and so on until all leds are lit...then repeating?

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018

View attachment 160343

There are a few "Knight Rider circuits available, but very few give construction details. So no matter what, you will need to do some learning. Probably, if you can provide a complete list of what you want it to do, somebody in this very large collection of folks will be able to help. By complete, I mean what sort of light sources, how fast, how many sides, and what sort of controls. The very original, from 1964, used a motor driven bank of switches to light a string of three turn signal bulbs for each direction. So there has been a whole lot of time for lots of different circuits to be developed. Really, if you are skilled mechanically, a mechanical sequencer could still be worked out. It would not be terribly complex, but it certainly would not be miniature.

Rob Knight

Joined Sep 22, 2018
There are a few "Knight Rider circuits available, but very few give construction details. So no matter what, you will need to do some learning. Probably, if you can provide a complete list of what you want it to do, somebody in this very large collection of folks will be able to help. By complete, I mean what sort of light sources, how fast, how many sides, and what sort of controls. The very original, from 1964, used a motor driven bank of switches to light a string of three turn signal bulbs for each direction. So there has been a whole lot of time for lots of different circuits to be developed. Really, if you are skilled mechanically, a mechanical sequencer could still be worked out. It would not be terribly complex, but it certainly would not be miniature.
So basically they will be turn signal lights that will light up 10 power sources for LED's. They would blink in sequence ( they will all stay lit until last one then start over. 1-10 then back to just 1-10 again. I have found some on Amazon but don't know if they will work with 12vdc. They all say takes 9 volt.
Thank you
Rob

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
They would blink in sequence ( they will all stay lit until last one then start over. 1-10 then back to just 1-10 again.
The circuit in post #8 gets you mostly there. You just need to add a reset after the 10th LED turns on. That means using the QC output from the third shift register to reset all of the shift registers. You should also tweak the existing reset to give you a power on reset.

The reset pin on the 555 timer would be used to control when the LEDs sequenced.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
Turn signals?
Here in Canada it is illegal to tamper with the lighting on a motor vehicle, because NOOBs have copied circuits on the web or bought Chinese circuits on ebay or Amazon which have poor lighting and caused accidents. Is that what you want?

The LEDs must be bright enough but not too bright. The LEDs must have a wide angle of light but cheap LEDs have a narrow beam that cannot be seen a little to one side.