I am having problems understanding a datasheet

Madel

Joined Apr 13, 2021
Hi everyone.
I am not good at electronics so... I just read the datasheets and apply what is written in them.

I am trying to use a downconverter IC but I have to put on one of it's pins a signal of 500Mhz, to do this I am trying to use a max2609 just because it was cheap but on it's datasheet there are three capacitors which are not given their values, really I don't know how to continue.

If I am using the forum in a wrong way please tell me.

p.d.: any nice resource to learn about electronics?

Regards

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hi everyone.
I am not good at electronics so... I just read the datasheets and apply what is written in them.

I am trying to use a downconverter IC but I have to put on one of it's pins a signal of 500Mhz, to do this I am trying to use a max2609 just because it was cheap but on it's datasheet there are three capacitors which are not given their values, really I don't know how to continue.

If I am using the forum in a wrong way please tell me.

p.d.: any nice resource to learn about electronics?

Regards
Do you think the values are important?
Did you read the text to see if it mentioned values?

Edit: Here is what it says on p.12 of the datasheet:

C1 and C2 are chosen according to the operating frequency and load impedance. As the output stage is essentially a high-speed current switch, traditional linear impedance using techniques with S parameters do not apply. To achieve a reactive power match, start with the component values provided in the EV kit, and adjust values experimentally.

If you don't understand how to do that, then this chip is too sophisticated for you to use successfully. Do you even have the equipment to do this?

Last edited:

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
Bypass capacitors and coupling capacitors easily couple the signal of interest.

That's what the four capacitors do. You can use 1,000 pf ceramic RF capacitors to start to start.

Cbyp is bypass capacitor, and the other three apprear to be coupling capacitors.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I just came back to advise the TS to check my assumptions by reading the datasheet (its good practice anyway). Thank you dl324 for finding this.

Madel

Joined Apr 13, 2021
hi again!
Thanks you all for being so helpfull

There are a lot of terms that i don't fully understand (or not at all) also because my english isn't very good
But for me this is enlightening:
"adjust values experimentally."

Where can I learn about electronics?
a good start the art of electronics-horowitz?

regards

I read the datasheet around three times, it makes me sweat... ha ha

"If you don't understand how to do that, then this chip is too sophisticated for you to use successfully. Do you even have the equipment to do this?"
:/ I don't have equipment further than a multimetre, but the input on the downconverter has enough range... i think(not sure)

I have no knowledge neither equipment,... i suppose i need an oscilloscope?