HV DC (1KV -2KV) and measuring low current <1A

brodonh1

Joined Sep 15, 2008
The voltage is too high for my 1kv rated fluke mm and I need to measure the current which will be less than 1amp.
I desire advice for general method to approach this matter.
Thanks,
Donald

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Normally you would measure current on the low side (common return) with a high voltage feed. If you can't because of isolation or other factors, a well isolated Hall or similar magnetic current sensor will work.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
I have successfully floated Fluke digital voltmeters at 17 kV to measure anode current back in the days of CRTs. Maybe you can do something similar.

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Theoretically, the meter would see less than 1V when measuring current. I don’t think it would be a problem to measure if the meter is a portable one and therefore isolated.

(But don’t take my word it and blame me for destroying your Fluke.)

Bob

ronsimpson

Joined Oct 7, 2019
If the Fluke meter is powered off the wall (110/220 vac) then 1kv is probably the limit.
Doing what Dick did works. I put a battery powered meter on a piece of rubber or cardboard to keep its case away from ground. If you go past 2kv the leads might not survive so keep them away from ground.
Don't touch the meter if the ground lead is at 2kv.
2kv at 1A can do damage so keep one hand in your pocket. lol
In the case of CRT level voltages, you don't have to touch the wires, it will reach out to find you.
Be safe
RonS.