Hurricane Economics

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Hi,

Wow, that's (84 inches) nuts. I understand now that Florida could see surges of 10 feet! That's really really nuts.

Yes i understand that there are more dimensions to it than just the inches of rain. I figure Florida is vulnerable though because it has low lying areas that will flood easily. I guess we will know for sure very soon now.

I know someone who lives in Ft. Lauderdale and they boarded up the house. The eye seems to be still heading a little west so it is now more on the west side. Lucky for them, although the storm is pretty wide now.
Not all people followed the mandatory evacuations.
Fortunately, most of Florida also drains pretty well, so it can shed the water a lot better than a lot of other places. Of course, there's a limit to everything.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
http://www.kptv.com/story/36370293/...-his-job-following-act-of-kindness-in-florida
Hurricane Irma hit and remember every detail.

Tim McCrory of Springfield will too.

Truck driver Tim McCrory was driving an emergency load of lumber to a Home Depot in Florida before Hurricane Irma hit, when he blew a tire in South Carolina.

By the time he got to Florida, the Home Depot was closed.

McCrory took a nap before turning around.

"A police officer knocked on my door, and asked what I was doing with the load."

Tim told Western Mass News that he told the officer he needed to drive the load back to Atlanta.

"He said I can't let you do that, we need the lumber here."
That's his side of the story.

http://www.wtsp.com/news/in-irmas-wake-a-good-deed-goes-punished/474568489
CEO Paul Wieck said he understood why McCrory did what he did, but he told 10News that the plywood on McCrory’s truck wasn’t his to give away.

“I understand his heart,” Wieck said. “But the plywood belonged to our customer.”

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
Theft is theft. Regardless of the circumstances.

If we allow expediency or moral ambivalence to dilute this concept, there can be no such thing as Justice.

It was not his property to give away. He should have requested approval from his employer -- or the police officer should have produced an (emergency) order from the Governor.