Hunting is safer than bowling

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Well it is Beer, Booze and Bullets (first day of White Tail Deer) season here in Pennsylvania. Never fails that some drunk either shoots himself or falls out of a stand.

Heard this curious fact today that it is actually safer to hunt than it is to bowl or play golf.

https://get.com/economy/2011/12/07/fact-of-the-day-hunting-is-safer-than-bowling/

OK I get the danger in golfing. Get smacked in the head by a ball or club that slips out of a buddy's hands. But bowling? Who on earth are people bowling with that it can be so dangerous! :eek:

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Well it is Beer, Booze and Bullets (first day of White Tail Deer) season here in Pennsylvania. Never fails that some drunk either shoots himself or falls out of a stand.

Heard this curious fact today that it is actually safer to hunt than it is to bowl or play golf.

https://get.com/economy/2011/12/07/fact-of-the-day-hunting-is-safer-than-bowling/

OK I get the danger in golfing. Get smacked in the head by a ball or club that slips out of a buddy's hands. But bowling? Who on earth are people bowling with that it can be so dangerous! :eek:

Us office types finally get up out of our chair, smoke a cigar, drink more than we should, get tense about losing to our buddy and then trying to throw a 16 pound ball harder than needed. Ripe for a heart attack.

Now, are your statistics for one year of participation in the activity (like birth control is measured for effectiveness) or is it per event (hunting outing, golf outing, bowling outing, ...)?

ISB123

Joined May 21, 2014
They wanted to make bowling a bit more dynamic so they started using hand grenades.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I think bowling has a high potential for self-injury due to the exaggerated motions not normally performed by sedentary types.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
What the table obscures is the definition of "injury". I suspect hunting injuries tend to be more serious than bowling injuries.