Humble Request for Mentorship in Electrical Engineering career

Talkwisdom

Joined Mar 2, 2016
Dear all,

Greetings.
I have been ardent visitor of this great forum,I have been motivated in one way or another . because of my desire to study Electrical Engineering,I enrolled for the admission exam but luckily,I got the admission though it came late.

Now, I really do not know where to start knowing fully well that the school first semester exam is fast approaching and I am far from what my fellow students have been taught so far.when I look at the what they have been taught. I quickly lose focus.

I really need mentorship on this profession to enable me stand tall among my Coursemates.
Please,I humbly seek help on how to go about these topics below;

1.Mesh and Nodal Analysis
2.Circuit theory
3.determinants and vector space

A guide to textbook will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Mesh and nodal analyses are a component of circuit theory.

Before you start trying to do mesh and nodal analysis, be sure that you have a firm grasp on the fundamental upon which they are based, namely KCL, KVL, and Ohm's Law.

Talkwisdom

Joined Mar 2, 2016
Mesh and nodal analyses are a component of circuit theory.

Before you start trying to do mesh and nodal analysis, be sure that you have a firm grasp on the fundamental upon which they are based, namely KCL, KVL, and Ohm's Law.
Dear sir,
I appreciate your response...
I will read on those fundamentals.If you can assist me with a link where these fundamentals were clearly explained would help me too.

Best regards

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Dear sir,
I appreciate your response...
I will read on those fundamentals.If you can assist me with a link where these fundamentals were clearly explained would help me too.

Best regards
There's the E-book here, but I don't like it because it uses electron flow and I think that will cause you problems in the long run since the vast majority of the world uses conventional current.

I have not really looked into websites that deal with the fundamentals because I learned them before the internet and come from a generation where I'm far more comfortable with physical texts. You can get lots of introductory texts on Amazon dirt cheap, but I don't know what the shipping is like to Nigeria.

Talkwisdom

Joined Mar 2, 2016
There's the E-book here, but I don't like it because it uses electron flow and I think that will cause you problems in the long run since the vast majority of the world uses conventional current.

I have not really looked into websites that deal with the fundamentals because I learned them before the internet and come from a generation where I'm far more comfortable with physical texts. You can get lots of introductory texts on Amazon dirt cheap, but I don't know what the shipping is like to Nigeria.
Dear sir,
I equally prefer physical text. I would appreciate if you would advise me on the best way to handle this.

Regards

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Since I don't live in Nigeria and have no idea how easy/hard it is to get your hands of physical textbooks there, I'm simply not in a position to provide much guidance.

About the only things I can recommend are to
1) See if you can find a website that sells textbooks in Nigeria (or that has reasonable shipping terms to Nigeria). It may well be that Amazon does -- I simply don't know.
2) Check with the college(s) around the area and see if they have bookstores that sell texts.
3) Look for local bookstores, especially used book stores, that might carry textbooks.

Talkwisdom

Joined Mar 2, 2016
Since I don't live in Nigeria and have no idea how easy/hard it is to get your hands of physical textbooks there, I'm simply not in a position to provide much guidance.

About the only things I can recommend are to
1) See if you can find a website that sells textbooks in Nigeria (or that has reasonable shipping terms to Nigeria). It may well be that Amazon does -- I simply don't know.
2) Check with the college(s) around the area and see if they have bookstores that sell texts.
3) Look for local bookstores, especially used book stores, that might carry textbooks.
Sir,
I can easily get Textbooks here, but to know the best ones to go for.
I really need a good Electrical engineering textbooks where topics and problems are clearly explained.sincerely I am still new to this profession.

I appreciate once again

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
If you can easily get textbooks from Amazon, then I would recommend going there and looking for used texts that are a couple of editions old. You can often find these for less than a dollar (often just $0.01) so you are getting them for just the cost of shipping. Having a handful of texts means that if Author A doesn't explain a particular topic well, you can see if Author B or Author C do a better job. Just seeing the same topic explained different ways can be very useful.

Amazon (and other sites) also let you see the reviews that people have made regarding the texts and these can be quite useful (but keep in mind that what someone else did or didn't like about a given text may not line up with how you would rate that same text).

If you have a local bookstore that you can visit, go there and spend a few hours looking through the available texts. Don't just skim them, but actually read a chapter or two and form an opinion of whether you think it is a good match for you. And remember that your choices aren't set in stone -- if you choose a text that turns out not to be as good as you thought it was, you can always choose another one (and either keep the first one or sell it).