Human power converted to stored energy

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I didn't follow every detail of the discussion but I suppose one source of confusion is the difference between power expenditure and power to the pedals. For humans, power at the pedals is no better than ~25% of the power consumed, with the balance being heat.

So while 300 watts of calorie burn rate is very doable for a long period, delivering 300W to the pedals is not possible for all but the most elite.

If he is still listening, the supercapacitor won't do him any good, especially if the end result is to charge a battery. Any intermediate you try to go through will just cause losses. What he needs to charge a battery with varying power input is a current-pump boost converter that will take whatever charge is on a standard capacitor from the generator and boost it to the voltage level required by the battery charger.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I think we're all ignoring the fact that super-capacitors are magic and can turn any bad idea into a successful design.
It must be special if it starts with 'Super'. Most of these projects fail because they should have used an Ultracapacitor instead.

Superadded
Superable
Superadd

Last edited:

fkjhdsr7gik

Joined Oct 9, 2015
There are parts of the world including the UK where this would be useful - as an add on to exercise machines. In Bhutan.... how many are obese?

I would go for charging a capacitor with a high maximum voltage rating. Then straight into a step-down, high efficiency converter, to a low voltage. Then stepping up to a safe level for the 12V battery, with a charge management circuit. The step-ups and downs are easily available to the non-technical experimenter, I'm not sure about the charge controller, for something that is reliable. This method would let the user have more rests.

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
There are parts of the world including the UK where this would be useful - as an add on to exercise machines. In Bhutan.... how many are obese?

I would go for charging a capacitor with a high maximum voltage rating. Then straight into a step-down, high efficiency converter, to a low voltage. Then stepping up to a safe level for the 12V battery, with a charge management circuit. The step-ups and downs are easily available to the non-technical experimenter, I'm not sure about the charge controller, for something that is reliable. This method would let the user have more rests.
o_OOk, stop it now. This makes even less sense than the OPs proposal.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
I don't want to discourage people from human powered projects but they should to be something that at least in theory has a good chance of success.

tcmtech

Joined Nov 4, 2013
I think we're all ignoring the fact that super-capacitors are magic and can turn any bad idea into a successful design.
Only if you have the right app for that.

Word has it if you use supercapacitors to power your smart phone with the correct app running you can bend the laws of nature to your will being anything a supercapacitor can't do the right cell phone app can. :confused:

Ibnbat

Joined Oct 5, 2015
Woaw, some of you are up there with time in there hands so much sarcasms, you have lots of knowledge within your area but no applied experience in the domain of human hybrid, plenty assumptions You forget to understand the part that I have a Twike and I know the (little) effort to move it ,so laughing about paddling going nowhere is such a ridiculous statment.
You have your own right to not look at the subject in details and spend time with the intention you should know more in your area. You take your pleasure where you can I guess.
You may not be old in age although you remind me the old guys stating we'll all die if we attempt to be in a vehicel above 80kph. This will be my only words to help you further realise how rdiculous most of your phrasing reads in the middle of useful technical data.
You have no idea how mamby people have no more then their legs, arms and will in undeveloped countries and some not even need to move much, some need light for their kids to study, some have plenty srength in their legs for over 12 hours to move riskshaws, we live in a different world. You may consider being ashamed of making fun of people trying a different route than system using aboundance of electrical power.
No worries guys can't help you much more in the way you take the debate, feel free to clean your emotions from your input and give pure technical information when you can.

Is there anybody out there with more adventurous sense?

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Woaw, some of you are up there with time in there hands so much sarcasms, you have lots of knowledge within your area but no applied experience in the domain of human hybrid, plenty assumptions You forget to understand the part that I have a Twike and I know the (little) effort to move it ,so laughing about paddling going nowhere is such a ridiculous statment.
You have your own right to not look at the subject in details and spend time with the intention you should know more in your area. You take your pleasure where you can I guess.
You may not be old in age although you remind me the old guys stating we'll all die if we attempt to be in a vehicel above 80kph. This will be my only words to help you further realise how rdiculous most of your phrasing reads in the middle of useful technical data.
You have no idea how mamby people have no more then their legs, arms and will in undeveloped countries and some not even need to move much, some need light for their kids to study, some have plenty srength in their legs for over 12 hours to move riskshaws, we live in a different world. You may consider being ashamed of making fun of people trying a different route than system using aboundance of electrical power.
No worries guys can't help you much more in the way you take the debate, feel free to clean your emotions from your input and give pure technical information when you can.

Is there anybody out there with more adventurous sense?
If wishes were horses then beggars shall ride. Just wanting things to be a certain way is not enough to make it so.