human electric shock

u04f061

Joined Jan 3, 2006
when human body comes in touch with live wire coming from the suply source when his body is also touching the ground(earth) he feels electric shock.it means that some amount of current ~50mA is passing through his body which may cause death.this means that a circuit is complete for current to flow.

but when a voltmeter is connected with one lead connected to live wire and other connected to ground(our earth) then voltmeter gives zero volts reading.if no voltage is present between these two points then why humans feel shock?

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
Originally posted by u04f061@Mar 13 2006, 09:47 PM
when human body comes in touch with live wire coming from the suply source when his body is also touching the ground(earth) he feels electric shock.it means that some amount of current ~50mA is passing through his body which may cause death.this means that a circuit is complete for current to flow.

but when a voltmeter is connected with one lead connected to live wire and other connected to ground(our earth) then voltmeter gives zero volts reading.if no voltage is present between these two points then why humans feel shock?
[post=14928]Quoted post[/post]​
It sounds like you maybe trying to read an AC voltage with the meter on the DC range. In this case you will not see any voltage because the DC average of an AC waveform is 0V.

u04f061

Joined Jan 3, 2006
Originally posted by windoze killa@Mar 13 2006, 06:18 AM
It sounds like you maybe trying to read an AC voltage with the meter on the DC range. In this case you will not see any voltage because the DC average of an AC waveform is 0V.
[post=14929]Quoted post[/post]​
u can also measure yourself whether it was ain a dc or ac scale.it was on ac scale because we were may which were astonished to see this

more over if u have not understanded what i was sayig plz have a time to view this

i am not talking about that the voltage does not exist b/w live and ground.i am talkig about this
we (friends) measured voltage by connecting red lead with live wire black with our earth (a planet on which we are living not a wire ).it gave us no reading .but if a person standing on earth touches the live wire he feels shock.if voltmeter does not give voltage b/w live and earth it means voltage does ot exist.if this is the case why we feel shock?

windoze killa

Joined Feb 23, 2006
Originally posted by u04f061@Mar 14 2006, 10:28 PM
u can also measure yourself whether it was ain a dc or ac scale.it was on ac scale because we were may which were astonished to see this

more over if u have not understanded what i was sayig plz have a time to view this

i am not talking about that the voltage does not exist b/w live and ground.i am talkig about this
we (friends) measured voltage by connecting red lead with live wire black with our earth (a planet on which we are living not a wire ).it gave us no reading .but if a person standing on earth touches the live wire he feels shock.if voltmeter does not give voltage b/w live and earth it means voltage does ot exist.if this is the case why we feel shock?
[post=14963]Quoted post[/post]​
I can now see what you are trying to do. I think the main reason you aren't seeing a voltage is the conductivity of the ground you are probing. The very small tip of the probe is only contacing a very small part of the ground and if that small part of the ground is not conductive you won't see any voltage. When a human stands on the ground his feet are in contact with more surface and hence a greater possibility of conducting electricity. If you were to drive a metal rod into the ground then you would probably be able to measure a voltage. Also if you were to hose water over the ground this may also help.