Howto connect this thing.

ejas

Joined Mar 19, 2015
Hello All,
I just need a short help, as I am very ignorant about electronics, but one day I hope to learn.

I want to build a automatic cat feeder with the help of a breadmakingmachine engine. But the engine spins just to fast.
Now I found in my stuff this "dimmer". I think it is from an electrical oven, or grill. There is a potentiometer on it, some resistences, a triac as far as my knowledge goes.

Anyway, just one questions, there are three wires coming out. Can somebody explain me how to connect the white, the blue and the black one.
(and will it work?) But that is something I can find out with trial and error.
Thanks in advance!!!

I was not able to upload images here, so I posted them here.

http://imageshack.com/a/img537/4319/LhTPgX.jpg
http://imageshack.com/a/img661/6416/BwG41o.jpg

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Several problems:
1) That dimmer may not be rated to handle enough power for the motor.
2) Not all motors can be controlled with a simple dimmer. Doesn't the bread machine motor operate in two directions? And at different speeds?
3) The bread machine might not behave properly if you interfere with the motor - it may be looking for feedback from the motor to adjust its control scheme.

ejas

Joined Mar 19, 2015
Thanks for the interest wayneh!

Several problems:
1) That dimmer may not be rated to handle enough power for the motor.
I am a total Noob, but still I was thinking about that. But thought that the W of an oven is higher than the Watts of that motor. Think that will be my trial and error.

2) Not all motors can be controlled with a simple dimmer. Doesn't the bread machine motor operate in two directions? And at different speeds?
No, it was not operating in two directions, for sure. But maybe at slightly different speeds.

3) The bread machine might not behave properly if you interfere with the motor - it may be looking for feedback from the motor to adjust its control scheme.
No wait, it is only the motor I want to use. I dismantled the breadmachine because the electronic chip was not working. The engine runs very fine though. Just connect two wires, and it runs very smoothly.

ejas

Joined Mar 19, 2015
That is totally inappropriate for what you need. At most all you need is a small battery driven gear motor and some way to time it.
Until you haven't seen my design, how can you know? My cat opens doors by force! So it has to be strong.
I only want to know how to connect these wires to the engine.

ejas

Joined Mar 19, 2015
strong engine is no luxury here.

This one is nicer, but I try to build with what I have. And I dont have it :

ejas

Joined Mar 19, 2015
Depends where you live , here (N.A.) white would be neutral, Black live , and blue motor.
BTW, that controller is for a Universal motor, a DC motor will not work.
Max.
Thanks Max, here all breadmachines are 220 V AC, that is what I know. So we have blue, and brown. (and earth, which is yellow and something). For me, because it is AC, I never care a lot if I connect the blue or brown one, because it is alternating, isnt it?
Thanks Max, here all breadmachines are 220 V AC, that is what I know. So we have blue, and brown. (and earth, which is yellow and something). For me, because it is AC, I never care a lot if I connect the blue or brown one.

Not clear on the picture, but the black has two endings. So that is for sure one to the plug and one to the motor . Let's assume it is a European controller.
Can you be sure?
Its got a Tic106m triac , 5 amp@600V, looks like a standard light dimmer with a diac gate trigger.
5 amp, that should be enough.

I really think I took it out of electric grill 15 years ago ;)

pwdixon

Joined Oct 11, 2012
I hope you are going to put a grill or something over the food dispensing hole or your cat might shove it's paw inside and get stuck.

ejas

Joined Mar 19, 2015
Thank you all.. Esp the advice about he grill ;)

It is working. Don't ask me how. Because only in one way connecting it works. And that is that the blue one out has to go to a yellow wire, which goes straight into the engine. The black one out goes also straight into the engine, but before it is forked to a capacitor of 2.5 microF. Why??
Can I leave the capacitor out? (yes I know nothing of electronics...)

See:
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/540/jvvP9b.jpg

As the "thing" really slows the machine down, but it is only slow or max. Nothing in between.
I now think to remember it is from an Black and Decker jigsaw of over 20 years old.

I also found this thing, on the end of a black wire on the "thing". See:
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1024x768q90/540/1c2f3q.jpg
some magnet (?) with coiled copper wire around it. What is the use of it?
connect it yes or no?

Thanks people.

And Dave, thanks for your link, but still a little bit too much abacadabra for me. (one day)

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
It looks as though you are trying to control a split phase motor with triac controller, split phase 1ph cap run motors don't take kindly to Triac control.
Max.

ejas

Joined Mar 19, 2015
It looks as though you are trying to control a split phase motor with triac controller, split phase 1ph cap run motors don't take kindly to Triac control.
Max.
Thanks Max.
Remember I am a total Newby. I know what a motor is, .but not what a split phase motor means). I do knowsince about 24 hours the existence in the world of Triac control.
In a way I am happy how it runs. But I will not be happy when the whole thing is finished, and it breaks down after a week, or 6 months.
Will that happen? And if so, will the Triac break, or the motor?