How's the weather?

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I don't like to work to hard and try to find a better way, I'm with @wayneh on this one you can also use a heat gun and scrapper take the door off remove the hardware probably good to have a chemical mask to minimize inhaling the fumes or just a fan to push away the fumes once it's down to wood you can treat it how ever you want, this is one way I find very interesting

https://permaculturenews.org/2016/12/05/shou-sugi-ban-preserve-wood-using-fire/

Another is a product that is a bit expensive but it preserves the wood integrity actually bonding with it on a cellular level, plus is able to keep it from molding I think they make a paint rather than a stain.

https://www.weatherbos.com

kv

Edit: The stain is good for fencing, they are using a concept that the vikings used.....pine tar on their Stave Churches which are over a 1000 years old.

http://www.solventfreepaint.com/pine-tar.htm

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I suggest reconsidering that.
My problems comprise less than 1/2 of a square foot. I'm not going to make a 2 day project out of a 2 hour chore.
can also use a heat gun and scrapper take the door off remove the hardware
There is nothing wrong with the door. It's the bottom of the door frame, only on the outside of the building, and less than 8 inches of each side is damaged...probably from sucking rain water up in the end grain of the 2x6's.

Sorry guys. It's a nuisance, but it's not a project.;)

Edit: Why am I still on AAC? It's raining.:(
Everybody knows you can't paint with rain splashing on the wood.:(

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Second night in a row below 60F. That means the cold has soaked through the walls and I turned on the heater for the first time this year. I'm glad I fixed the heater about a month ago.:)

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
48˚F Good for the week sunny but colder later on in the week, seems to do that when it clears up in a desert. Hoping for the wind to die down wind 25 mph. Got some outside projects to finish.

I hope all fair the weather and is good for those in cold or other.

kv

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Cloudy with a chance of Meatballs, um I mean snow. We had about and inch fall last night, right now 28˚F. So much for BBQ season. At least I have my Sprinkler Controller and Valves hooked up, lost my opportunity to join the back yard to the system but that will be quick work next year.

kv

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Had the last BBQ of the season yesterday. What? You don't believe me? Well, here's proof! :p:

Image00001.jpg

It's was almost perfect weather all week long. But that's about to change, 10°C (50°F) and rain (70%) is forecast from Wednesday on... better get the winter clothes out of the closet, and be prepared.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Yeah, we're expecting a big chill here as well. I've been wrapping up some summer chores I never got to. The air outside is actually more energetic than indoors (due to a much higher humidity). I may open the windows. By tomorrow, we'll have dropped over 40°F and everything will be frozen solid.

Man, those ribs look great.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Dramatic temperature drop in the last 12 hrs. Right now it's 3°C (37°F) at home, and possibly -5°C (23°F) in the mountains. Snow is falling in the northern state of Chihuahua. And down here we're getting a mix of snow and rain... A maximum of 1°C (34°C) is forecast for tomorrow.

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
Yup, it snowed last night. First time in about 15 years... of course the snow didn't stay, and now it's mostly melted or turned into patches of ice... but people are ecstatic... this is a very rare event down here... will post some pics later on

cmartinez

Joined Jan 17, 2007
A pic of the back 40 of the Martinez estate?
I wish... that picture belongs to a national park up the mountains in my city (it's called Chipinque). It's about a 20 minute drive from where I live. But right now access to that area is restricted due to slippery road conditions.