how to wire rf wireless reciver to house light switch

a Rob

Joined May 14, 2017

this is the rf wireless reciver requires 12v power now when i open my light switch it has 2 or 3 wires and i have no tool to test the power of the wire on the wall socket , so is this safe to connect and use or do i need to converter to convert the light switch power to 12v

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
It certainly looks like it needs a power supply. Do your light switches have a neutral connection? If they have just two wires then there is no neutral and you can't get any power for your circuit.

a Rob

Joined May 14, 2017
the power wire for the light sockets il put it on that board to power it up but i need to convert the power flowing through that wire to 12v some how.
then the board light will lite up , then i can continue doing the rest of the normal wiring.

chv_sck

Joined Feb 4, 2017
Please find out a little more before you go any further. I'm not quite sure what you are trying to do, but I THINK that you want to be able to turn on power to your receiver from a light switch. There are legal and safety issues involved with tha.

Your light switch works with 110 or 220 V AC depending on your location. Either one will kill you if you don't know what you're doing. These voltages are very dangerous. That's why there are regulations.

The only legal way that I know about to power your receiver would be to somehow run a circuit to an outlet. Then you can get a 12 v power supply (with an approved AC cord) and plug it into the outlet. Adding an outlet would be a job for an electrician.

If, on the other hand, you want to wirelessly control your light switch, you want a special light switch that's also an RF receiver. I know that there are some, and they will meet the legal and safety requirements for controlling the lights remotely. The average person CAN install one of these devices, if he or she carefully follows directions. (Which will start with disable the fuse or circuit breaker that supplies power to the light switch. Also, use a meter to test that there is no voltage there).

In either case, you need to understand what you are getting into and be very careful. I see that you have a related post in which somebody advised you that you would blow up your receiver with what you wanted to do. I hope that you can do whatever you want, but household wiring is done in very specific ways for good reasons.

Good Luck,

hj