How to use L297 7408 unipolar stepper driver

cnc64586

Joined Sep 11, 2017
I found a unipolar stepper driver based on L297 & 7408 as you can see in attachment. In CN3, I know how and why to use EN, H/F, Dir, CLK. But I want to ask about following things:

In CN3, how and why to use HOME?
In CN3, how and why to use Con (Control)?
In CN3, how and why to use RES (Reset)?
In CN3, how and why to use SYN?

If I don't use above four pins, then can I keep them open?

In CN4, how and why to use VREF?

How and why to use J1 (Jumper) for external or internal voltage reference?
What is purpose to use external or internal voltage reference option via jumper?

Thanks

Attachments

cnc64586

Joined Sep 11, 2017
Yes, I read L297 datasheet, but I could not understand about things about what I am going to ask. Some more addition to post:

In CN3, how and why to use Con (Control)? (I think I should connect it to +V5 to make chopper work at ABCD lines. But in what condition I should connect it to ground?
In CN3, how and why to use HOME? (By connecting it to +5V sets ABCD at initial state (ABCD = 0101). Is it right?
In CN3, how and why to use RES (Reset)? (I think, its function is also same to HOME. Is it right?)
In CN3, how and why to use SYN?

In CN4, how and why to use VREF? (VREF is already being used in circuit. But still it is connected to CN4 for external use. Why?)

What is purpose to use external or internal voltage reference option via J1 jumper in practical?

cnc64586

Joined Sep 11, 2017
As I have seen other L297 based unipolar stepper drivers, I think I should connect CON (control), EN (Enable) and RES (Reset) to +5V and leave HOME and SYN open. But I don't know how to use HOME and SYN, its knowledge will be a new addition for me.

In this circuit. I am more interested to know about J1 (Jumper) and CN4 (VREF pin) to make perform motor better. How to and why to use it?

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
I see you're trying to make a CNC. Please just do yourself a favor and buy ready made ones from Ebay or some other source. The L297 is a very old chip and isn't up to modern day use, compared to ready made drivers. Just my $0.02

cnc64586

Joined Sep 11, 2017
I see you're trying to make a CNC. Please just do yourself a favor and buy ready made ones from Ebay or some other source.
I searched Ebay and found TB6600 Single Axis 4A Stepper Motor Driver Controller 9~40V Micro-Step CNC. My bipolar stepper motor has about 400g weight (means a small motor). Please check if it is right driver. You can also suggest any other better (may be cheaper or not).

I have also other bipolar stepper motor (about 4kg weight) with 3-4 ohm winding resistance. Please also suggest a better driver from Ebay.

They should be able to drive these motors at high speed easily.

Thanks

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
You can also suggest any other better (may be cheaper or not).
If you have never done this before I can almost guarantee that a ready built driver module will be the cheapest thing that will work. Most of the "schematics" of a DIY driver won't work as shown, you will end up spending much time and probably more money getting them to work. But by spending a small amount more to buy a ready made proven driver module, over the cost of just the components to make your own, will get your machine up and working faster. And maybe freeing up more money to make the mechanical part of the machine better.

That driver is good for your bipolar motor it will drive all of the different motors, 4, 6, 8 wire types. It has dip switches to select for different amperage's of motors. Do you really think you can make your own for less than that? Have you made circuit boards before?

Last edited:

cnc64586

Joined Sep 11, 2017
That driver is good for your bipolar motor it will drive all of the different motors, 4, 6, 8 wire types.
I'm sorry, I did a mistake in writing above post. I have two motors:
Unipolar motor (about 400g weight)
Bipolar motor (about 4kg weight)

I know about most about how to use output and input signals this TB600 based driver. Please confirm, if it is right driver for above BOTH MOTORS to make them drive at high speed.

Thanks a lot.