how to turn ir2110

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
hi i'm trying to turn on the high side (ir2110)
the low side work well but the high side show's like dc

what is my problem
If I had to guess, it would be that you do not understand the requirements for driving a high side switch. In this context it refres to a switch that is not referenced to ground potential. One side of the switch (usually the source terminal) is referenced to some voltage above ground. The gate signal must be 10-15 volts above that potential. If you do not have a power supply voltage required by the gate you must synthesize it. One way of doing that is using a bootstrap capacitor and an oscillator to create a voltage that is higher than any avalable power supply. As has already been mentioned you need to keep the oscillator going; if it stops the bootstrap voltage will decay to a lower value and fail to operate the switch.

Last edited:

cukcuk

Joined Sep 13, 2023
안녕하세요. 해당 소자를 처음 사용하는 새내기인데, 어떻게 동작시켰는지 회로 사진을 보내주실 수 있으신지 여쭤보고 싶습니다. 감사합니다

Moderation translate, please use English text

hello. This is my first time using this device, so I would like to ask if you could send me a picture of the circuit and how it worked. thank you

Last edited by a moderator:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
안녕하세요. 해당 소자를 처음 사용하는 새내기인데, 어떻게 동작시켰는지 회로 사진을 보내주실 수 있으신지 여쭤보고 싶습니다. 감사합니다
hello. This is my first time using this device, so I would like to ask if you could send me a picture of the circuit and how it worked. thank you
See the link in #3 post.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
hi i'm trying to turn on the high side (ir2110)
the low side work well but the high side show's like dc

what is my problem
Like I have suggested to other, get hold of the application notes, and then read them. The app notes are the most accurate source of information because the manufacturer provides them so that users know how to apply the product. This is almost without exception in the electronic components industry..

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
How do you intend using the device? H-Bridge etc? Have you attempted to implemented it yet?
The OP appeared to have an issue with the bootstrap circuit. !

cukcuk

Joined Sep 13, 2023
How do you intend using the device? H-Bridge etc? Have you attempted to implemented it yet?
The OP appeared to have an issue with the bootstrap circuit. !
Thnaks for your help! I am trying to boost 0-5V pwm signal from arduino. I then read the article you mentioned right after your reply and it helps me a lot to understand the gate driver. Thank you so much

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
Thnaks for your help! I am trying to boost 0-5V pwm
Don’t know how you plan do that with a high side gate driver.

Assuming you have a higher voltage power source, all you need is an N channel logic level MOSFET used as a low side switch.

cukcuk

Joined Sep 13, 2023
Boost it to what voltage?
How much current do you need to draw from the boosted voltage?
What power supplies do you have for your boost circuit?
Making 0-5V to over 12, I supplied 12V to VCC then connected the pwm to Low input pin 12 and It worked today as I followed this.

Attachments

BobTPH

Joined Jun 5, 2013
So you are using a MOSFET gate driver as a MOSFET. Sure it will work, since that is all the low side switch is. But why?

cukcuk

Joined Sep 13, 2023
So you are using a MOSFET gate driver as a MOSFET. Sure it will work, since that is all the low side switch is. But why?
I do not have a specific reason but just wanted to handle various size of PWM during school experiment and I found the term of a gate driver

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009

Seeing that schematic gave me a kind of dumb idea. Could you use one gate driver using the low side to do away with the bootstrap on another driver for the high side? Just kind of thinking out loud and it may not work.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Not sure of your meaning, is to just use the bottom driver only?
Any time you use a high side driver, there has to be a path to power common.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
Could you use one gate driver using the low side to do away with the bootstrap on another driver for the high side?
You could use the low-side driver to switch current through an inductor, thereby making a boost converter, then use the boosted voltage to drive a high-side FET gate.