How To turn Dc to Ac

szymonm2

Joined Jan 26, 2016
Hello.
Im trying to find an answer to my problem for the past couple of weeks but I cannot seem to find it.

How do I turn an output of 0-30V DC (10A) into 0-30V Ac?

All circuits that I found changed to voltage to either 110v/ 230v...

szymonm2

Joined Jan 26, 2016
Could you be a little more specific. What frequency and waveform? Also some application information would be good.
I want to power up ac devices such as ac motors. 50hz or 60hz would be good i suppose. I dont have such deep knowledge in alternating current.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
If the bench psu is yours, you could use the transformer outputs to give you 30V AC, you would need to measure its output and put a couple of yellow 4mm sockets on it. If you want variable ac your better using a variac transformer , otherwise its an inverter.

mcgyvr

Joined Oct 15, 2009
Post detailed information on the motors and other AC loads you intend to power..
part numbers would be great.. or motor nameplate ratings..

As stated a transformer off the mains may be a better solution than an inventer and may be the only way based on details of the AC loads/motors..

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
I just happened to have a rather chunky stepdown xformer of 800 VA capacity. 480 to 120 single phase.
I used it with a variac to get a 0 to 30 volt AC out with 120 AC input.
It was convenient for testing the two universal motors I scavenged out of old vacuum cleaners. Full voltage on them without a significant load means possible runaway self destruction.
And they would really spin with 12 volts DC input from a lead acid battery

szymonm2

Joined Jan 26, 2016
If the bench psu is yours, you could use the transformer outputs to give you 30V AC, you would need to measure its output and put a couple of yellow 4mm sockets on it. If you want variable ac your better using a variac transformer , otherwise its an inverter.
Thr power supply is a switching one and i cant do that... i am using a 12v 20amp psu that is connected to a buck boost converter (ltc3780 to be exact). So kermit2' s schematic would work for sure?

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
You said your psu is a switchmode type, it will alter the pwm to give a variable voltage, unless you're wanting to make an inverter which to me is a waste, use a small transformer to drop the mains 120V or 230V to 30V to test the motors, or if you want a variable AC supply use a variac.

szymonm2

Joined Jan 26, 2016
You said your psu is a switchmode type, it will alter the pwm to give a variable voltage, unless you're wanting to make an inverter which to me is a waste, use a small transformer to drop the mains 120V or 230V to 30V to test the motors, or if you want a variable AC supply use a variac.
I have a switch mode power supply attached to a buck/boost converter which in return gives me a range between 0-30v 10a. Im basically looking for a circuit that enables me to change Dc to Ac without a voltage change....