How to transport all the tools?

Electricstar

Joined Mar 9, 2017
Hello,
I'm new in the electricity business, all my knowledge comes from 40 years diy experiences. I would like to ask the professionels how you transport all of your working tools for your actions to foreign homes? I want to start a sideline and offer my business at first to friends and people I know a bit. I got a van, in which there's a lot of space for tools but still I don't know how to transport them secure and intelligent.

Thanks for answers!

dl324

Joined Mar 30, 2015
Welcome to AAC!
I got a van, in which there's a lot of space for tools but still I don't know how to transport them secure and intelligent.
Until there are vehicles that can't be hot wired and locks that can't be picked, there will be no secure way to transport tools.

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Hello,
I'm new in the electricity business, all my knowledge comes from 40 years diy experiences. I would like to ask the professionels how you transport all of your working tools for your actions to foreign homes? I want to start a sideline and offer my business at first to friends and people I know a bit. I got a van, in which there's a lot of space for tools but still I don't know how to transport them secure and intelligent.

Thanks for answers!
You don't need to transport *ALL* your tools. Any job that needs *ALL* your tools is heading in the general direction of "beyond economic repair" - at best its a workshop job.

eBay are selling car/van stickers to the "kick 'em while they're down" brigade:- "Don't steal my tools - I need them to pay your benefits". Personally; I wouldn't bother telling everyone all my tools were in the back..................

When I did service calls on a motorcycle - I just took what kit I could stuff in a rucksack.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Years ago I did work that required some pretty specialized tools and electronic calibration equipment. We used specially made containers called isopods to transport equipment. That included loading on aircraft and flown to aircraft carriers underway. The containers were well padded and easily held devices like scopes, counters, meters, and a variety of standards equipment. While I would not expect you to go find surplus isopods it doesn't take much to manufacture your own relatively secure containers customized for your needs. Start with a clean sheet of paper figure what you want/need to have in it and build it. That or find something ready made and customize to suit your needs/wants.

While nothing can be 100% theft proof the idea of the game is to make it difficult to steal anything. A custom built metal box for example could be lagged to the van floor from the inside. Along the lines of a residential security container but mobile. Then make the van as difficult to steal as possible beyond the general anti theft features. GPS is popular and easy to do so if the vehicle is stolen it is easy to find and recover.

Ron

ian field

Joined Oct 27, 2012
Years ago I did work that required some pretty specialized tools and electronic calibration equipment. We used specially made containers called isopods to transport equipment. That included loading on aircraft and flown to aircraft carriers underway. The containers were well padded and easily held devices like scopes, counters, meters, and a variety of standards equipment. While I would not expect you to go find surplus isopods it doesn't take much to manufacture your own relatively secure containers customized for your needs. Start with a clean sheet of paper figure what you want/need to have in it and build it. That or find something ready made and customize to suit your needs/wants.

While nothing can be 100% theft proof the idea of the game is to make it difficult to steal anything. A custom built metal box for example could be lagged to the van floor from the inside. Along the lines of a residential security container but mobile. Then make the van as difficult to steal as possible beyond the general anti theft features. GPS is popular and easy to do so if the vehicle is stolen it is easy to find and recover.

Ron
The cheapest and easiest defence against theft is ; Don't advertise.

The police are constantly advising; "don't leave valuables in plain sight" - that advice can be adapted to individual circumstances.

Discussing the contents of your van while sitting in the pub doesn't help at all...........................

A dashcam pointing at the driver might help - as long as they don't torch the van after unloading your tools. Although; these days there may be ways to transmit the images to a remote HDD that doesn't go up with the van.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Reminds me of a recent incident here where a service tech had a very high end piece of equipment worth alot of $$, there were only two known of in the city.
Making a quick call, he left it the car, on return it was gone.
So searching the local buy-and-sell network, one just like it shows up, he contacted the guy and after some communication, on a pretense, he wanted to find out the age he asked for the serial No. sure enough it was his.
So he set up a meet in a local cafe for the transaction, but at the next table were two undercover cops.:p
Max.

Hello,

Thanks for answers!
Hi
I made for a long time experiences with a system called Globalyst from Sortimo which was perfect for my business. Cause I own a own maintainance service and Online-Shop I needed sth big. Yes but like those others experts said, be careful with advertising. Don't talk about the system you'll buy - only talk about it with people you trust and not even some friends which might be interested in the system.

I just looked for the Globalyst-System on Sortimos Website and found some other interesting organization-tools and even smaller racks - those van racking solutions could be interesting for you? They are smaller then the Globalyst and could be more appropriate for smaller business like you want to do this alongside. In my opinion than you won't need something very big to transport you maintainance tools like me. Where do you work and live maybe I can offer you a job at my company? Pls just send me a private message and we can talk about that.

Another hint I can give you is to ask at the company you buy your tools and to ask at you vehicle-service-point. Because in most cases they can help you out and give you individual consultings concerning especial your car. And before you buy something, take a real-life-look at it, and don't just order it in the internet.

Dani57

Joined Sep 27, 2018
Hey Brigitte,

after your recommondation I had a look at the Website you recommended to us. I also working as an electrician. This van racking solutions are reallys good looking. But i also found a great feature on this site, which is really good for people like me if you wanna plan the inside of your van. They offer a configurator which you can virtually plan the inside and have a look how it fits in your van.

They dont offer all models, but still a few.

Cheers (and sorry for my bad language skills, just live here since july) Daniel

Last edited by a moderator: