DIY ECG data transport to PC, live or not live

roona8

Joined Feb 7, 2022
Hey. This is my 1st project and I need some headers right now. I basically have my acquired signal in analog form, and I understand I must now digitize it with and ADC. At this point however I don't really know what to do.

I want the data to my PC for handling, but the mode of transport is what I need help with. USB? Bluetooth? Microphone input? I want minimal problems of course on the PC side --- really I just want the bits to Python for signal analyzing & processing etc.

Live is preferred but from memory is ok too. I have hard time finding info on this topic as it all seems to be very case-related and not general.

Please tell me if this is not the right place to ask. Thank you.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
If you follow all the way through the AD application note in the link, every bit of the system is described. The output there appears to be RS232, not current on most computers any more. The code to instead link to USB should be available some place.

Last edited:

geekoftheweek

Joined Oct 6, 2013
You should be able to use a basic FTDI USB to serial converter the same way you would use a standard serial port. Open the device, set baud rate, bit count, then read and write.

ericgibbs

Joined Jan 29, 2010
hi roona,
So
Although I intend not to use a front-end but a simple op-amp configuration that has some filtering and gain.
Basically: 0.05Hz-1khz, of (originally) 0.5mv to ~5mv

How many Bits of ADC resolution are you considering.?
What ADC sampling rate is required.?

Will the 'basic' electrical signal be superimposed on a DC level in any way.
ie: is level shifting required?

E

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
hi roona,
So
Although I intend not to use a front-end but a simple op-amp configuration that has some filtering and gain.
Basically: 0.05Hz-1khz, of (originally) 0.5mv to ~5mv

How many Bits of ADC resolution are you considering.?
What ADC sampling rate is required.?

Will the 'basic' electrical signal be superimposed on a DC level in any way.
ie: is level shifting required?

E
Every bit of that information is presented in the application note found on the link. Also the entire system in a well marked block diagram. In addition, an application engineer for Analog Devices can provide more assistance. They love to hep folks design in the AD components into their new products and have them work very well.