How to test if a USB port is fully functional ?

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
Hi.
How to check if a plain smart phone USB jack is internally wired only for charging and data is not operational ? Charging works fine.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Hi.
How to check if a plain smart phone USB jack is internally wired only for charging and data is not operational ? Charging works fine.
What would your definition of "fully functional" include?
I guess I would start by seeing if the phone will enumerate. Then I'd see if I can transfer files to and from the phone.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
'Fully functional' as also receiving and transmitting data. If a printer is connected, how to test ? Where to command say -print screen- ?

Jon Chandler

Joined Jun 12, 2008
First, make sure the cable isn't a "charging only" as is supplied with some USB power banks and devices only needing charging. As PapaBrovo said, plug the phone into a PC and see if it emunerates; if not, suspect the cable.

For the phone to support external devices, it must support USB-On-The-Go. If it does, then you need a USB-On-The-Go adapter, a short pigtail providing a USB-A connector. Keyboards and mice should work directly. Printers will require a driver and an app to print.

Externet

Joined Nov 29, 2005
OK.
So if the phone does support the USB OTG (test showed it does) ; still needs an OTG adapter to plug a printer or just a plain USB cable ? (+ the app + driver)