How to repair or replace this micro switch please?

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
OK, if you were in the US I was going to offer to swap it for you. Remove the battery, put your multi-meter in continuity mode (beeps when probes touched together) and figure out which of those metal pads where the black button USED to be connect to which pins on the button. That will tell you which pins you need to connect your new button to.

georgioh

Joined Jun 24, 2020
OK, if you were in the US I was going to offer to swap it for you. Remove the battery, put your multi-meter in continuity mode (beeps when probes touched together) and figure out which of those metal pads where the black button USED to be connect to which pins on the button. That will tell you which pins you need to connect your new button to.
Your offer is very kind thank you very much MrSoftware people like you are too rare !
After the virus is over I'll come and bring you the PCB :)

I don't know if I have the continuity mode on my ohmeter it's a very basic one, can I do it in another way ?

MrSoftware

Joined Oct 29, 2013
The diode test feature should work, see if it beeps when you touch the probes together. Also the 200 ohm setting will also work, but you will need to look at the screen. I circled both in yellow:

1593032363244.png

georgioh

Joined Jun 24, 2020
Here are the measures I did (I used the diode selector) and here are the values shown by the screen ::

- I tested the first green pin with all the others:

- I tested the 2nd green pin with all the others

- I tested the metallic circle and edges inside the switch :

I hope I didn't mess with the multimeter tips because there isn't much place. I can do it again if the values are not logical if needed. Thanks !

Last edited:

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
You should have three connection on the switch a C (COM)mon as well as NC and NO.
you either switch from C to normally open or C to a normally closed.
Max.

georgioh

Joined Jun 24, 2020
Thanks Max for your help.
I found a tactile microswitch that looks like the one that was on the pcb, do you think Ican I solder it like this ?

DarthVolta

Joined Jan 27, 2015
What are some tips for soldering parts like switches, that have plastic ? I often leave the heat too long, and IDK how high to really turn up the temp for a given size piece of metal.

And what are the typical metals ?