How to reduce internet speed

Mullins

Joined Dec 31, 2021
Hello I wanted to know if it is possible to reduce the internet browsing speed so that any setting on the router cannot bypass it. Basically I have my nephew who spends too much time on the internet playing online games. these games need a high speed so i guess by reducing the speed he will get bored and won't play anymore

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
This can be done, but it is not a simple thing. Generally, traffic shaping is used to limit the bandwidth according to the protocol, port, or other characteristic of the traffic. This requires hardware. It could be a (relatively) expensive firewall (~$300+) or something like Gargoyle (one option) which replaces the firmware on your current router (if supported) or if not, on a new router that is supported but is much cheaper than the firewall.

It means learning about configuration, and securing the router (no physical access, confidential password). If the former is impractical it only makes the security less airtight, but not open—the latter is mandatory. Gargoyle is intended as a public hotspot system and so you can make it so he has to login through a captive portal like you would do at a hotel or coffee shop or other venue that offers WIFi.

You can then configure his account to have whatever capabilities or restrictions you choose. But, as I said, it will require learning no matter what you do. If you choose a route, we can try to help with it, but you are likely to find dedicated forums for whatever you decide on where the help will be more expert in that thing.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
What about if I put a simple resistor on the line before the router? The internet company may "see" it?
That would do nothing but interrupt your service. A resistor limits current not data rate. You need some sort of stateful packet inspection or other bandwidth throttling mechanism which is far, far above the physical layer of your network.

Ya’akov

Joined Jan 27, 2019
Could you just use a timer to switch off the router periodically?
Many routers offer scheduled outages. For some reason the TS specified "not a setting on the router" which is impractical of course, it has to be part of the configuration of something that passes all the traffic.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
First recommendation -- try parenting instead of hidden and mysterious technical forces.

If that's not an option or not successful, put a slow Ethernet switch between his machine and the router. If he is connecting to a wireless access point, then simply add a new one that uses the original SSID and key but that then goes to said slow switch and then change the SSID and key on the original one to something that he doesn't know. You could even use a hub, which would allow you to throttle the traffic just by having a couple devices send junk traffic to each other.

Finding hubs or slower switches may be easier said than done.

MisterBill2

Joined Jan 23, 2018
Possibly a very poor quality connection cable would slow things down. AND one other possible option would be to get a slower data rate connection from your internet service provider. But if you have the higher speed for streaming video then that will not be good.

bassbindevil

Joined Jan 23, 2014
Installing alternative firmware like Tomato or OpenWRT on the router (or an additional router) might let you apply a speed limit to certain types of internet traffic.

Mullins

Joined Dec 31, 2021
What I didn't tell you about my nephew is he is 17 year old and he is computer expert. He know both hardware and software. Programming in Java, c++, python ecc... I must find a solution to use before router because I'm sure he don't have any knowledge in pure electronic. This may sound strange but

sagor

Joined Mar 10, 2019
Only real solution to controlling traffic by device or user is an intelligent firewall on a dedicated router. In the commercial and hobby world, there are Linux based boxes that act as a router (including wifi) but have firewall software inside of them where one can control traffic. The Linux boxes are free to build in many cases, but require some Linux "knowledge" and a spare PC with a couple of network cards.
So, the best solutions require skills, or you pay a pile of money to get a router that has those smarts already, but still require configuration.
Another option, depending on how he connects, is a managed network switch, where you can manage speeds on a per port basis (on most models). However, if he connects via wireless, that won't work. But, if you are wired, and he is wifi, you could set the switch to give priority to your wired connection.
That said, you may be able to get an older router (secondary router) that has 802.11B wifi, which will limit his speed to 11Mbps and change the password on any 5G wifi or newer router to something he does not know. Only allow him access to the 802.11b network.

Mullins

Joined Dec 31, 2021
Thanks for all the ideas you have given to me. Since my nephew is computer expert I can't use them. I must find some solution who's working on the line before the router.

MrSalts

Joined Apr 2, 2020
Thanks for all the ideas you have given to me. Since my nephew is computer expert I can't use them. I must find some solution who's working on the line before the router.
You can also search for the hundreds of YouTube videos of how to smash a PS5, a PS4, an XBox of various generations. Mothers, Fathers, brothers, sisters, friends all show how and why to do it. Good luck.