How to program an LCD Display with PIC16F877A that display 8 different outputs depending on inputs?

Joanna Marie Pagtalunan

Joined Nov 11, 2018
Hello, We're doing this roulette game ckt using the PIC16f84A for our project in school. (see link below) Our teacher wants us to display a prize for every LED, using LCD. Is it ok if we just make the LED outputs as the input for the PIC16F877A to be used for the program of the LCD? We plan to connect it to the LEDs and use pic16f877a for the LCD's programm. Can please someone help us in making the codes? It would be much appreciated. Thank you.

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/air/variable/picmel/applications/hello_world/index.html

Last edited:

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
Hello, We're doing this roulette game ckt using the PIC16f84A for our project in school. (see link below) Our teacher wants us to display a prize for every LED, using LCD. Is it ok if we just make the LED outputs as the input for the PIC16F877A to be used for the program of the LCD? We plan to connect it to the LEDs and use pic16f877a for the LCD's programm. Can please someone help us in making the codes? It would be much appreciated. Thank you.

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/air/variable/picmel/applications/hello_world/index.html

This is home work. You won't learn if we do it for you.

Post your existing code and some of us may offer some tips.

Here are some tips to get you stated.

1. Read the datasheet. Don't be overwhelmed with all of the data. Concentrate on the oscillator and registers for now.

2. Make your program simple at first. Just write it to turn on one LED. Don't worry about the fianl goal yet.

3. If you have access to test equipment learn to use it.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I presume you want to program the 16F877A and are wondering whether it is the same as the 16F84A. They are not the same, but are similar. The 16F84A has only 2 banks of registers; the 16F877A has 4 banks. You will need to compare other aspects of the datasheets yourself.

What language are you using?

Joanna Marie Pagtalunan

Joined Nov 11, 2018
This is home work. You won't learn if we do it for you.

Post your existing code and some of us may offer some tips.

Here are some tips to get you stated.

1. Read the datasheet. Don't be overwhelmed with all of the data. Concentrate on the oscillator and registers for now.

2. Make your program simple at first. Just write it to turn on one LED. Don't worry about the fianl goal yet.

3. If you have access to test equipment learn to use it.
Im sorry but we have very little knowledge about it. We we're only required to make a simple application of PICs and we chose this roulette game. We are not required to make our own codes, we just have to make it in actual. I cannot find any source code that has similar application to us, that's why I decided to ask some help in this forum. Thank you

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009
We just need to make a simple application of PICs and we chose this one. We have to make it in actual (breadboard). The codes are given, the teacher does not require us to make the codes on our own.

So you were given an assignment to program a PIC yet they gave you no lessons in how to get started? I think I would find a new school if I were you. ;)

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

It's a little rare to be able to find code that has been written that adheres to your particular project exactly as you want to build it. It usually does now work that way. The way it usually works is you find a project that is similar and then modify the code. If you dont know how to modify the code and since you seem to have freedom to select the project yourself, it would be better to find a project that is already made and just go with that one even though it's not what you wanted in the first place. You might even have a second project choice just in case the first one does not work right because that happens too as sometimes there are mistakes in the publishing.

If you choose to stay with your original project you'll have to find someone that is willing to write code for you if you dont know how to write code for this particular chip. Also though, you could pick a simpler chip to start with too.