How to program a sensor to detect fluids of two different densities.

Dino94

Joined Feb 9, 2020
Like the water in fuel sensor but I need to give the variables myself.

I’m not proficient in electronic programming I would also appreciate if you could suggest me some of the basic online programming and testing platforms that I can actually learn and use before starting to make the circuit .

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
What is "the water in fuel sensor" you are referring to?

My understanding is that most WiF sensors use the difference in electrical conductivity between water and the fuel as the sensing mechanism.

What variables are you referring to that you need to give?

Online programming of what?

We really can't help unless you provide a LOT more in the way of specifics?

Dino94

Joined Feb 9, 2020
What is "the water in fuel sensor" you are referring to?

My understanding is that most WiF sensors use the difference in electrical conductivity between water and the fuel as the sensing mechanism.

What variables are you referring to that you need to give?

Online programming of what?

We really can't help unless you provide a LOT more in the way of specifics?
I’m an aircraft Engineering student and
I’m planning to do a project which is a basic WiF sensor for aircrafts I need it to detect water presence and for it to give an indication, this sensor is to be installed in the fuel tanks.

I was thinking of using the densities of the fuel and water as a detecting variable.
I hope this helps .

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
I’m an aircraft Engineering student and
I’m planning to do a project which is a basic WiF sensor for aircrafts I need it to detect water presence and for it to give an indication, this sensor is to be installed in the fuel tanks.

I was thinking of using the densities of the fuel and water as a detecting variable.
I hope this helps .
What's wrong with using one of the well-established solutions that's already available on the market?

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Specific gravity might be hard to do in a continuous manner. Have you consider refractive index? IR absorption might be another option.

Dino94

Joined Feb 9, 2020
Specific gravity might be hard to do in a continuous manner. Have you consider refractive index? IR absorption might be another option.
Could you please elaborate it sir.
Mod:Deleted email address, prevent spammers.E

Last edited by a moderator:

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I'm still waiting on you to elaborate on measuring different densities inside a fuel tank. It's your project.

Hints:
Refractive index of water is greater than hydrocarbons
Hydrocarbons and water have different IR spectra -- look up isosbestic points, which are useful for analysis of mixtures.

Beau Schwabe

Joined Nov 7, 2019
Here is a closed loop optical current regulator that I designed and have used that works really well for measuring opacity/density.
The IR transmitter and IR receiver need to be pointed at each other and fixed at an equidistant from one another.

Our application was measuring and regulating detergent mixtures in water.

Attachments

Sensacell

Joined Jun 19, 2012
A small motor with a paddle on the shaft immersed in the fluid.
Measure the power required to spin the shaft in different viscosity fluids.

Dino94

Joined Feb 9, 2020
I'm still waiting on you to elaborate on measuring different densities inside a fuel tank. It's your project.

Hints:
Refractive index of water is greater than hydrocarbons
Hydrocarbons and water have different IR spectra -- look up isosbestic points, which are useful for analysis of mixtures.
Yes, my project is when a water is detected in the fuel to give a visual warning signal

Dino94

Joined Feb 9, 2020
I hope you guys having a good day.
Just want to know something is there any circuit you guys know that ai can work on which detects water in Fuel system.

I need to measure in picoFarad!

the idea I had was to use resistance since water is a polar and fuel is a non polar liquid but taking resistance in a fuel tank might give sparks so I believe a capacitor is much more safer..

I hope you guys Can help me on this.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I need to measure in picoFarad!
Why? That applies only if you plan to use capacitance as the variable.

the idea I had was to use resistance since water is a polar and fuel is a non polar liquid but taking resistance in a fuel tank might give sparks so I believe a capacitor is much more safer..
Measuring resistance doesn't make any more sparks than measuring capacitance. Both require a small amount of electrical current to work. Current by itself does not make sparks. Moreover, almost any remote sensor you use will be powered electrically. For example, refractive index requires a light source, and most likely the fuel gauge is also powered by electricity.

Dino94

Joined Feb 9, 2020
Why? That applies only if you plan to use capacitance as the variable.

Measuring resistance doesn't make any more sparks than measuring capacitance. Both require a small amount of electrical current to work. Current by itself does not make sparks. Moreover, almost any remote sensor you use will be powered electrically. For example, refractive index requires a light source, and most likely the fuel gauge is also powered by electricity.
Owkie I do understand ..do you have any circuit diagram using resistance to detect water ?