How to match my brushless motor with an ESC?

zemanekj

Joined Jan 31, 2019
Hello!

I am putting together a brushless motor kit and am almost finished. However, I don't know what kind of ESC to get for the brushless motor because I'm not sure how to determine my motors amp draw. Here is what I do know:

my stator has 12 teeth
12 turns of wire per tooth
4 teeth per phase (4 phases total)
the stator is 10.4mm deep and the radius is 10.8mm
the rotor has 14 magnets
the magnets have a strength of 14000-14600 Gauss or 1.40-1.46 Teslas.

*Also I'm not looking to put a load on this motor. I just want it to work.

This is the link to the kit I got: http://www.gobrushless.com/shop/index.php?app=ccp0&ns=prodshow&ref=DM2210-KIT
I'll admit I bit off a bit more than I could chew, but I'm still trying to make it happen.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
I assume this is an academic exercise? As these motor are fairly cheap to purchase.
Here is a ESC driver ebay 273369792333 that should do it.
Max.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
ESC's are rated in amps and maximum voltage. Your motor has a Kv rating which approximates the no load speed for whatever voltage (i.e., rpm per volt) is attached to it. In order to know how "big" (amperage) your ESC needs to be, you need both the load and Kv for the motor. Many hobbysites have that information, as do may dealers. You may be able to find a "max current" rating for your motor. I would use an ESC at least that large and probably twice, as increases in ESC amperage capability is cheap. On a skateboard, size and weight are not important, unless you skip breakfast to save weight. ;)

Have you tried looking? The physical description you give of your motor is no help whatsoever.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
The TS provided a link to the motor he has and it states......
Please understand that winding a 12 slot stator with 14 magnet poles is much different than a 9 slot 12 magnet pole motor, you can easily damage your ESC if the winding and termination is not done correctly. Damaged ESC due to improper winding will void the ESC warranty so please make sure your work is done correctly. If you need instruction on winding these motors please email us and we will point you to some good instructional data.
Motor testing is best done with no prop and a 20A or larger ESC as they will be a bit more forgiving than a small ESC. It is most important to monitor the current flowing to the motor during testing as this will allow you to terminate the test if current approaches the ESC limit.
Hope this helps.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
I didn't know skateboards had props. Knowing the prop size the TS intends to use and voltage would help. Neumotors.com used to have those charts.

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
Sorry, I don't think testing with a 20A ESC and no prop has any relationship to what would be needed on a skateboard in near to stall conditions. We have yet to know the voltage the TS intends to use.

The question is watts, and without any approximation of load, I suggest sizing for the maximum watts at the intended voltage. That will be large, so the TS will also need to consider the maximum discharge of his batteries or have a lot of replacements available. Outrunner motors and high power ESC's can easily draw more current than the batteries are designed for.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the TS made no mention of a skate board. Actually, he said...
"*Also I'm not looking to put a load on this motor. I just want it to work."

zemanekj

Joined Jan 31, 2019
Sorry, I don't think testing with a 20A ESC and no prop has any relationship to what would be needed on a skateboard in near to stall conditions. We have yet to know the voltage the TS intends to use.

The question is watts, and without any approximation of load, I suggest sizing for the maximum watts at the intended voltage. That will be large, so the TS will also need to consider the maximum discharge of his batteries or have a lot of replacements available. Outrunner motors and high power ESC's can easily draw more current than the batteries are designed for.
Could I use a variable DC power source instead of batteries?

zemanekj

Joined Jan 31, 2019

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
The power supply you linked to only has an output rated at a maximum of 5 amps. If the recommended ESC is rated at 20 amps or more, how would that work for you?

zemanekj

Joined Jan 31, 2019
The power supply you linked to only has an output rated at a maximum of 5 amps. If the recommended ESC is rated at 20 amps or more, how would that work for you?
It is my understanding that an ESC with a rating for 20 amps should be able to operate below 20 amps, but not above. So 5 amps or less should work.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
The 20 amp ESC would operate a 5 amp motor since the MOTOR would only require 5 amps, but the MOTOR you have, according to the link you provided, requires 20 amps. The supply you linked to is only capable of providing 5 amps to whatever load you place on it. You can't get more out of the ESC than you put in.

zemanekj

Joined Jan 31, 2019
The 20 amp ESC would operate a 5 amp motor since the MOTOR would only require 5 amps, but the MOTOR you have, according to the link you provided, requires 20 amps. The supply you linked to is only capable of providing 5 amps to whatever load you place on it. You can't get more out of the ESC than you put in.
Thank you, that helped me understand