How to make a primary circuit control others

psycopotimas

Joined Mar 10, 2020
Hi, apologies if this is in the wrong place. I have no education in these matters and was hoping someone may be able to help me with what I imagine is a rather simple challenge for those who know.

I have 3 separate automotive lighting circuits (12v-15v). What I would like is when circuit 1 is active it prevents the other two from functioning, but as soon as it goes off they can resume. I would like something small and robust as it would be used in a motorcycle.

I have no idea what hardware etc that i would require.

If anyone can point me in the right direction that would be amazing

Liam

Hymie

Joined Mar 30, 2018
This would be very simple to do with a relay.
When circuit 1 is energised the relay coil is energised – this relay cuts the 12-15V supply to the other two circuits you want to disable (if you use a double pole relay, these circuits can remain isolated from each other if required).
You need to ensure that the relay contacts are rated for the voltage/current of the disabled circuits.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
I would use a relay, a simple automotive relay. On my bike my headlight has two side spots. When switching between low and high beam the side spots are disabled.

Ron

ci139

Joined Jul 11, 2016
Re : #2 :: the modules do look like having some agent inesrted into the shrink tubes — as it can also be seen , that not very successfully to provide the moisture-/water proofing = if you don't live in the desert you likely want to repair the poorly done sealing work

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
Re : #2 :: the modules do look like having some agent inesrted into the shrink tubes — as it can also be seen , that not very successfully to provide the moisture-/water proofing = if you don't live in the desert you likely want to repair the poorly done sealing work
The two upper things in the posted image appear to have diodes in them labeled D1 and D2 as well as some other components. Anything on a motorcycle is always exposed to the elements and like it or not the day will come when one is riding in a downpour. Good protection from moisture is real important and if things do not dry out well corrosion finds a start on connections. Then things start getting ugly real fast. The image looks like what is called a diode kit for motorcycle used with single filament turn signal bulbs.

Ron